Author Topic: Alna Day - Saturday June 16, 2018  (Read 13289 times)

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: Alna Day - Saturday June 16, 2018
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2018, 07:02:48 PM »
Softball:  Fire Department vs. Railroad  (in period clothing/equipment) would be a sight to see!
Moxie Bootlegger

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2018, 11:42:32 AM »
Probably would be hard to fill all of the positions since there is a lot of carryover between those two groups!

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2018, 06:20:58 PM »
How about members versus Board of Directors?  They have nine members, after all.  ::)
What–me worry?

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 05:53:54 PM »
Recent Wiscasset Newspaper article:   http://www.wiscassetnewspaper.com/article/public-invited-alna-day-meeting-may-19/101891

Looking forward to this event!  Thanks Steve for all your work on this, and Mike for the suggestion of the event.  Hope work lets me volunteer for the event.
What–me worry?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 06:06:55 PM »
Steve, as I said before, has really taken my simple idea and tried to turn it into something fantastic. He has gone to the town, met with several townspeople, and organized the event . This event will not only be a meet and greet for people and the railroad, but also friends and neighbors that may not see each other often. A real community event.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2018, 08:35:05 AM »
On another front, there were many smiling faces today and first timer Alna residents as well. Steve P is due much praise for his efforts. Annie deserves our gratitude for not physically harming us for taking Steve from his very new newborn. Since Steve has already modestly minimized his efforts I will also thank all those who contributed to today’s success on behalf of Steve.
I have already received a cc of an email from one of the selectmen to Steve praising his and our efforts. I continue to be proud to be associated with the WW&F volunteers and family!

I couldn't agree more.  I thought the event yesterday was very well done, thanks to all the groups and individuals who participated.  It was busy, but it wasn't too busy.  On train crew, I had time to talk with a lot of our visitors, running from very young families to retirees.  All were having a good time, and most were very interested and amazed in all the museum has accomplished and our plans to get to Route 218.  I enjoyed seeing many old and new friends.

I hope Alna Day becomes an annual tradition.  Thanks to Mike for the idea and everyone who saw it through to fruition.  Steve P. did a fantastic job organizing it.  I look forward to the concert series Steve has developed for this year -- should be fun, family events!
What–me worry?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2018, 09:32:25 AM »
I think the seed has been planted for future Alna days. Steve turned my free ride for residents into a great event. Just wish I had time to enjoy it. Hopefully next year..
I was glad to see the cooperative efforts of all the participants that were there yesterday, as well as Stewart for bringing his small fleet of fords over for display..
Mike

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2018, 10:00:06 AM »
From what I have been reading and hearing from others in the tourist railroad industry, special events such as these are what draw visitors, not just a plain Jane train ride. Well done to everyone who had a part in making Alna Day happen.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2018, 11:54:18 AM »
A great Father’s Day present from a great new father!

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2018, 05:59:21 PM »
I too hope that Alna Day becomes an annual event for the town, naturally centered on the railroad.  Many other Maine towns have annual days which have lasted for years and years.  Hopefully we'll remain -- at least for now -- the organizing force to make it happen again and again.  It really does generate town spirit and energy, and should continue to grow.

Many thanks to the town participants, especially my favorite farm market vendors Amy and Toby.

In furthering intra-Alna cooperation, it would not hurt to offer some of our ALNA neighbors the opportunity to display and sell their wares at Sheepscot Station.  That would be a win-win for all!!

John Scott

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2018, 01:12:42 AM »
I know a tourist railway that runs a Sunday Market in the station grounds. I think they make more money from that than from train rides. The results are excellent rail preservation.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2018, 07:25:50 AM »
I don't know what Wiscasset has for a farmer's market (if any), but I would concur that a market opportunity could be a great thing for the farming families of Alna, Head Tide, Whitefield, etc.  I would also encourage partnering with our local food purveyors for the concert series.

We might want to consider a flea market and sell tables/spots, but only once or twice a year.
Moxie Bootlegger

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2018, 11:09:15 AM »
The minutes of the BOD meetings since February have not been posted yet, or you would be able to read the cooperative efforts that are already going on, and some in the works. Local farming is making a come back.
Mike

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2018, 07:50:13 PM »
The Wiscasset News has an article up: http://www.wiscassetnewspaper.com/article/alna-day-debuts/103400

Nothing yet from Lincoln County News (a reporter was there Saturday), I suspect it won't be on their website until Wednesday.