Author Topic: AMTRAK Downeaster trial extension  (Read 8882 times)

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
AMTRAK Downeaster trial extension
« on: March 01, 2018, 02:58:05 PM »
The TRAINS Newswire had an article mentioning that AMTRAK was planning to extend the Downeaster this coming August for 3 weekends to Rockland.  Intermediate stops will be Bath, Wiscasset and Newcastle.  Since Wiscasset isn't too far away, perhaps some sort of shuttle service could be offered between there and Sheepscot for AMTRAK riders wishing to visit the WW&F.

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
Re: AMTRAK Downeaster trial extension
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 05:11:32 PM »
We agree with Roger as we are planning a family trip to Maine this summer and direct Downeaster access to Wiscassett would be a plus.  However eventually we would need to rent a car for 5 with luggage.  Any suggestion? 

Barb & Gary Kraske looking forward to ME

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 05:46:02 PM »
There is an Enterprise car rental in Brunswick. Also in Thomaston. The Brunswick one will bring the car to the station. I don't know if Thomaston would do so to Rockland, though.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 05:50:31 PM »
I hope the Downeaster extension becomes a permanent fixture.  What a pleasure it will be to be able to get the train 10 min from my house and get all the way to Wiscasset.  No more NYC, CT, and Mass Pike traffic !!!!
Moxie Bootlegger

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 06:12:18 PM »
It's already do-able, John. I've done it to Portland, where I picked up a rental car. In fact, I'll be doing the same thing again in May. The biggest hassle is getting from Back Bay station across Boston to North Station, which involves riding the MBTA's Orange Line.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 07:32:37 PM »
All of the communities involved (Bath, Wiscasset, etc.) are enthusiastic, and their Boards of Selectmen have given stamps of approval. This is very likely to happen, and I'll be in line to take the trip at least once....

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 07:55:24 PM »
It's already do-able, John. I've done it to Portland, where I picked up a rental car. In fact, I'll be doing the same thing again in May. The biggest hassle is getting from Back Bay station across Boston to North Station, which involves riding the MBTA's Orange Line.
Wayne, I know but its Portland not Wiscasset !!!!
Moxie Bootlegger

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 08:04:13 PM »
Yes, but when I did it, not even Brunswick was a viable option. And one wonders if there is a rental car franchise in Wiscasset?

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 08:05:54 PM »
There is a rental car franchise in Wiscasset, I think it's Enterprise.  It's located on Rt 1 at the Wiscasset Ford location, so a rental may defeat the purpose of avoiding traffic :-)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 08:39:40 PM »
Ah, but if they are willing to bring the car to the station......

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 09:07:43 PM »
Thanks James et al We'll be in contact with Enterprise and confirm Wiscassett.

B & G Kraske

Roger,  is the Train news wire leading conjecture or do they have any valid reference(s)?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 10:04:25 PM by Gary Kraske »

Roger Cole

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 10:34:57 PM »
TRAINS Newswire is maintaned by TRAINS magazine and is usually pretty reliable.  They quoted their source as the Bangor Daily News and with a little "Googling", I came up with a link to that article which is publically available.  TRAINS Newswire unfortunately sits behind a paywall which is only free for TRAINS subscribers. 

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/02/26/news/midcoast/maine-passenger-rail-extension-will-be-limited-to-three-summer-weekends/

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 11:55:23 PM »
Thank you Roger.  this does clarify things.  I am a subscriber to TRAINS since about 1994, but lately the "news wire" and I have not been able to communicate.  I know electronics are faster but I sure long for human contact with them to straighten my password problems!

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 07:36:25 AM »
This "trial" will last only three weeks. How can anyone believe this will prove or disprove anything?

Al Michelis

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 08:14:06 AM »
There is a rental car franchise in Wiscasset, I think it's Enterprise.  It's located on Rt 1 at the Wiscasset Ford location, so a rental may defeat the purpose of avoiding traffic :-)

It is an Enterprise and they will bring the car to you. They have brought one to me here in Dresden.