Author Topic: February 2018 Work Planning  (Read 23808 times)

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: February 2018 Work Planning
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2018, 05:18:13 PM »
Did not realize you guys planned a good-sized, total track and roadbed rebuild at that spot.  Much too big a job for one lonely tie inserter.   :P
But...its day will come.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 05:20:37 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2018, 05:37:40 PM »
All those ties were put in mud. The water doesn't flow fast in those ditches. We didn't have much money then, I think we were counting each stone we put down. Now were doing great. You might say were on a roll. Hope it keeps going. Each year on the work weekends most everyone returns, maybe a little older but ready to get it done. and we will get it done!

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2018, 09:54:01 PM »
Fred,

We all come back to see what you have cut down and how you are doing.  Catching up on "Fred'isms" is the most fun of the work weekends.

Plus, we all aspire to be as active as you are as we wend our way through life.

Bill
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2018, 08:20:52 PM »
The "official report" hasn't been filled out yet, here, so I'll start, with the Augusta Train Show report.  Marcel and I were there the whole day, with John R showing up in the morning to help unpack and again in the afternoon to help pack.

We did very well at the show, probably about average for the last several years, better than we did last year.  Thanks to the Square sales system, we could see how Sheepscot was doing compared to us.  It seemed to me that there were few vendors than previous years (I thought I saw larger aisles), but asking the show director he said there were actually more.

We had flyers for the snow trains, but I can't say that anyone from the show went.  It was actually a little tough to do, as it's about an hour's drive between the two locations.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2018, 08:29:55 PM »
Sheepscot report in outline form:

About 30 volunteers signed the book.
Steve P served breakfast as planned.  A nice beginning (though I was late and missed the meat... )
Work train departed at 8:31.
All of locajton 3 was cut, save for a few trees. 
Two fires burned all of today’s brush.
Public trains ran as planned 10-2, hourly.
Steve P (with others) manned 320, staged on the mill spur at ToM, as a warming hut and sign in location.  (At one point I walked by and heard him playing his accordion and singing Bingo was his namo... must have been good).  Hot cocoa and project info could also be found in there.
74 paid, I believe just under 100 total head count.

On the last trip, x9 dropped its two coaches (3 and BRV’s 11) on the mill spur, went over the hill to retrieve 8 w workers on board, went back up to add in the first to coaches, and brought all 3 back.

Many families w kids, and most actually did hike the trails- so very pleased with how well this idea worked.  Truly let the train be transportation instead of the focal point.  At least a couple of families ventured down to the cutting crews as well. 

Others who attended- please feel free to add to this!

See ya
Jason
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 08:34:37 PM by Jason M Lamontagne »

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2018, 08:35:54 PM »
As reported in the Down the Mountain Tree Clearing thread, we cut off the Pinch Point today. About 200 feet long, 20 feet wide. A very good crew, after a slow start. We wound up with 20 to 25 or so volunteers wandering in and out of the ditches, cutting bushes and piling brush on the fire, and stacking the wood.

Steam crew was entertaining us with the whistles echoing up the valley. I was also busy first thing and missed the breakfast. Train was to leave at 0830 and had to be assembled

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2018, 08:37:10 PM »
A friend and I visited Porcupine Palace and snowshoed the circle trail. An excellent event on all counts. Everything was very well organized. Except for one kid who was crying a lot (and settled down after bottle and video), everyone was having a great time. I forecast many happy returns. :)
-John M

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2018, 09:30:34 PM »
Much appreciation from the MNG folks on giving us a ride up to the B&SR 7 work site today. You could ski down the driveway on ice skates so the train making flag stops was very much appreciated.
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F/Essex
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2018, 09:46:11 PM »
Is that a new Olympic sport, ski ice skating?

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2018, 10:02:27 PM »
Serving as brakeman on the work train today, I was very happy to see we had the opportunity to make a stop at Sheepscot Mills this morning to let off passengers.
What–me worry?

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2018, 11:54:19 AM »
Work this week:

Tuesday looks to be (unusually) quiet, as I need to stay home with my daughter, who is ill.  Some of the other regulars are away for various reasons, so if you're watching here and thinking of coming, Wednesday would be far better. 

Wednesday we'll be full force again.  Plan to work on the Mountain, cutting a few trees, and perhaps doing some additional surveying.  Back up plan is shop work, on No 10's boiler, along with various other ongoing efforts.

Next week expect a normal busy Tuesday and Wednesday.

see ya
Jason

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2018, 06:57:55 AM »
Anticipated work for Saturday Feb 24:

* Mountain ROW: more tree clearing and burning somewhere on the hill.
* Boxcar 67
* Archives: The Archives got a new laptop, will need to be set up (my job unless someone else volunteers).

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2018, 09:09:34 AM »
We may try at Trout Brook to burn what piles we have, and maybe finish cutting. Was plowed after last storm so should be easy walking.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2018, 04:15:45 PM »
How did Wednesday's work go?

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2018, 05:02:31 PM »
Plans changed Wednesday as I was ill (with my daughters strep throat), and we were short on diesel engineers.  Instead, the guys prepped no 9 for its annual internal.  That occurs next week; after that we’ll do our other annual work including water glass and fusible plug change, hydro, stay hammer, etc.  then reassemble and run again by mid March. 

See ya
Jason