Author Topic: AMTP in Pithiviers, France  (Read 65451 times)

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: AMTP in Pithiviers, France
« Reply #150 on: October 04, 2020, 09:44:32 AM »
A FEW FURTHER CLARIFICATIONS ABOUT THE AMTP BRIGADELOCK
 Those locomotives were built for the purposes of the WW1. They were designed to run on short  track pannels prefabricated with light rails and thin iron ties, that way the gauge kept dimensionally stable, so the brigadeloks were fit out with wheels with a narrow wheelspread that accomodate more easily the tiny inside of the frame and the KL axles. AMTP like other tourist railways that run those locomotives have no longer prefabricated tracks and if the KL axles system works well to make up for the small differences in level between the two rails and other small kinks of the track as well, it may be a big downside if the gauge exceeds 24.6''.The engine is most likely to go off the track, which I experienced  once at full speed ,it's a funny feeling to run on the road. With the KL axles system and its low center of gravity the locomotive runs smoothly at 15mph on a pretty much tamped and lined track but given the current condition of our track a  substancial yaw motion comes about if you run at over 13mph  that turns the locomotive into a galooping goose of sorts and lessens  quickly the engineer's eagerness for speed. Until last year our brigadelok was painted in light brown and due to its length and its low chassis its moniker was Teckel like the dog.

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 22, 2020, 12:32:37 PM »
SAFETY FIRST Part #12
In replies 139 and 140 I told you about how things actually went on the ground and I concluded that despite its shortcomings the way volunteers were training for safety positions was not that bad all things considered. But for years the shortage of volunteers has outweighed the absolute premise Safety First. In those days if by any chance a new volunteer joined the association everything was made to keep him at any cost, his training was shortened to allow him to climb on the footplate of a steam locomotive as soon as possible. When the current leadership was elected in early 2017 the shortage of volunteer had reached a critical point. As the AMTP officers were young and very  active they attracted a few youngsters through social medias . Those very young newcomers were instrumental in keeping the trains running but their training was botched while most of them were eager to do their best.
In Spring 2018 a minor accident brought about by a traincrew failure to the rulebook occured and everybody agreed that it had been a near miss it had turn out into a major one that would have had serious aftermath on the operation of AMTP. From that point on, the leadership and the volunteers became more safety conscious. Copies of the rulebook were printed and handed out to those who had safety positions, conductors and firemen included plus  a couple of safety meetings were set up and well attended.
Since 2019 everytime I've been to Pithiviers I've noticed a steady improvement in the compliance with the rulebook. Last year new older volunteers have joined the  AMTP and their training  is running its course normaly.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 22, 2020, 06:19:06 PM »
Alain,

Thank you for sharing your reasons for renewed emphasis on Safety at AMTP in Pithiviers.  We are fortunate to have many talented individuals who have railroad experience and are dedicated to maintaining and improving our focus on safety at the WW&F.  With our expansion down the 'mountain' grade and given the increasing complexity of our schedule and special events this necessary emphasis has increased, as so it should.

You sharing helps justify the importance in understanding and adherence to the rules to live by.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 23, 2020, 10:34:41 AM »
Thank so much you Bill for your reply .Ever since 2017  AMTP have had also individuals that are very much famillar with railroad safety since they work  at the National French RR SNCF, the President as an engineer , the Treasurer as a swichtman and the director  in charge of MOW as an engineer as well plus  our long time trainmaster  was an executive at SNCF in charge of  operating safety issues. As I said it in my previous reply the new leadership found a critical situation not only the shortage of volunteers but a fouled atmosphere among the rest of them , the main line in poor repair conditions, and not a lot of money on the checking account. I must admit that the safety of operating was not the priority of the leadership and BOD untill that minor mishap in 2018.
You are quite right to be adamant as far as safety goes . Firstly I'm sure you'll cross 218  one day and then you'll fall into the scope of the RFA and secondly it seems to me that the WW&F main line features quite a lot of hasards like very steep grades, tight curves with poor visibility, sloping stations like AC and maybe other ones I don't know of course. I've read carefully the comprehensive WW&F rulebook and especially the S&EP  that requires  a period of acclimatization to  allow the newcomer to become famillar with the railroad, its specificities and its dangers.  The new position of trainman now included in the 150 hours seems to me an excellent means of acclimatization and moreover it avoids the risk of putting the new volunteer off. Hopefuly, if the number of volunteers goes on being on the rise AMTP will  work out and implement such a program in adapting it to its own specificities and  needs of course but also to the attitude of mind of the French railroad enthiousasts  that are in most cases unruly and  always eager to grab the throttle.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 11:20:54 AM by ALAIN DELASSUS »

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 23, 2020, 11:45:04 AM »
...railroad enthiousasts  that are in most cases unruly...

Gee, that sounds a lot like American railroad enthusiasts.