Author Topic: honduras north coast railway & improvement company.  (Read 819 times)

Gavin Dalessandro

• Hobo
    • View Profile
honduras north coast railway & improvement company.
« on: December 04, 2023, 11:44:14 AM »
hi. i've been wondering if anyone here has any information on the Honduras North Coast railway & Improvement company, a two foot line that George Mansfield apparently helped build. thanks

Benjamin Richards

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: honduras north coast railway & improvement company.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 02:34:45 PM »
I think you've got your wires crossed, friend.

George Mansfield was the progenitor of the Billerica and Bedford in Massachusetts.

This Honduras line was apparently organized by a Mr. Samuel Blake McConnico. With a quick search I found only one newspaper clipping with an oblique reference to the line:
https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-times-picayune/36027114/

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 06:31:43 PM »
The Honduras road may have been organized by McConnico, but George Mansfield was definitely involved. It's discussed on pp. 84-85 of Donald Ball's book, George Mansfield and the Billerica & Bedford Railroad. According to Ball, the line was supposed to be 115 miles long, linking the port of Trujillo with Puerto Cortez. Mansfield traveled to Honduras with McConnico in 1888 to plan construction, but the financing fell through and it was never built.

Gavin Dalessandro

• Hobo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 08:33:30 AM »
i only found this in two Feet to The Lakes where it was said that Mansfield took the president of the line to show him the B&SR in 1887