Author Topic: newsletters  (Read 4768 times)

Kevin Kierstead

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
newsletters
« on: December 07, 2017, 08:05:29 PM »
just a question from a new member:
are the newsletters mailed out or are they only viewed on line?
BATLRSBS: Brotherhood of Amalgamated Track Layers, Rail Spikers and Ballast Spreaders; ToM/Trout Brook Chapter

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: newsletters
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 08:14:29 PM »
Hi Kevin.
Newsletters are mailed to all active members unless the newsletters get returned due to an address change or some other reason to be undeliverable.

Usually it is a couple weeks or more after they show up online before they start showing up in mailboxes.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 12:28:03 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Several years ago, it was determined that we could save a lot of money by sending our newsletters "standard mail" rather than first class mail. The savings were sufficient that we could afford to have Lincoln County Publishing handle the complete mailing process which, with over 1100 newsletters per issue, saved substantial labor.

The only major drawback was the substantial delay in delivery. It appears that the newsletters are put in an "aging bin" somewhere near Portland and then released, as people in New England (and as far as Pennsylvania) seem to get their newsletters, after about a 10-day delay, within a day of each other.

To compensate for these delays, we offer the newsletters to members via a special section of the WW&F Forum. Near-instant availability and full color production are the most attractive features, but only about 5% of our members make use of this capability. I suspect (and hope) this means that most members want to sit in a comfy chair while reading it and will file it after reading. I know I do.

Since our WW&F Forum and our Facebook page provide the "hot news," the WW&F Newsletter is directed more toward in-depth articles,  cash and in-kind donor lists, director elections, budget information, and other information. ("cool news"?)

John McNamara,
editor

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 09:56:51 AM »
John,

I know I read the newsletter as soon as it hits the electron super highway.  Then I get to read it again when it arrives, usually much later, in my snail mail box. 

The good news (pun intended) that at my stage of ageing mental deterioration it almost seems 'new' news.

Bill
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Kevin Kierstead

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 03:24:13 PM »
how are newsletters accessed on forum?
BATLRSBS: Brotherhood of Amalgamated Track Layers, Rail Spikers and Ballast Spreaders; ToM/Trout Brook Chapter

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 04:41:04 PM »
Museum members (once I find out about them) get access to the Newsletters and other special discussion areas on the main forum page.

Kevin - welcome aboard - I have activated your privileges.

If there are other museum members who do not have Newsletter access, please let me know.

-Ed
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Al Michelis

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 11:12:17 AM »
I am a member and do not have access to the Newsletter. Member number M1810

Has the newsletter been mailed yet?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 11:25:25 AM »
Hi Al,

I apologize - I did not have you down as a museum member. You have now been granted access to the Newsletter (and other members-only) sections of the Forum.

-Ed
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 03:15:57 PM »
The official word from the newsletter printer is (as of 10:30 AM on 12/12) "Should be going to the P.O. today." Now that most attention is focused on our social media efforts, and we use junk mail for newsletter distribution, a 13-day delay in printing is neither unusual nor deemed critical.

Al Michelis

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 03:41:54 PM »
Thanks Ed