Author Topic: cripple Creek & Victor NG Railroad  (Read 7470 times)

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
cripple Creek & Victor NG Railroad
« on: January 18, 2018, 04:39:37 PM »
folks,
        I just watched a nice video on You tube on the CC&V tourist railroad in Colorado. Cripple Creek is a small gold mining town which is only a pale shade of what it was in 1890. Most of the track is laid on the right of way of the Midland Terminal which was abandoned in 1919.

They have four two-foot gauge locomotives: one American, one German and two South African. And a couple of what appear to be home built open excursion cars.

Ted Miles, WW&F Member

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: cripple Creek & Victor NG Railroad
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 05:33:40 PM »
"Patten Travel Agency" ran a trip there in 2000 (?). Much fun. :D
-John M

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 06:34:36 PM »
Yes, it was in 2000.  One of the many destinations for the Patten Travel Agency's Colorado trip.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 07:53:55 PM »
I was out there about 4 years ago on a round robin railroad extravaganza.  I road the CC&V NG where the engineer was also the fireman, conductor and trip narrator.  They don't go as far as they use to because the gold mine has reopened their big operation and many trucks are crossing the tracks.  It was really interesting to look around their yard.  They have two 0-4-4-0 locomotives that came from Germany via Mexico I think. 

I also took in the Durango & Silverton, Cumbres & Toltec, Georgetown loop, Leadville & Colorado Southern, Royal George Route and Rio Grande Scenic.  It was a great trip, but long drives between many of the railroads. 

Perhaps I should have used the Patten Travel Agency to plan my trip.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 06:51:35 AM »
The PTA trip was a narrow gauge extravanganza: 2 weeks of railroading.  We left the last week of September from Boston on Amtrak, took it to Denver.  Met up with Glenn Christiansen, then drove to Chama and took C&TS both ways; drove to Durango and took D&S; most of us drove back via Silverton, Red Mountain Pass, Montrose, Cerro Summit, Gunnison, Monarch Pass, skirted Salida, then through South Park to come down to Colorado Springs; Pikes Peak Cog; Georgetown Loop; Colorado RR Museum; Caboose Hobbies; then back on Amtrak to central PA where we rented a car and caught the Saturday of the EBT Fall Spectacular (it was); then a late night arrival back in Mass. 

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 10:37:53 AM »
James,

Sounds like a fabulous trip.  I know mine was.  I chose to drive my camper van out and so camped or stayed in a motel.  The drip out and back was two eight or nine hour days driving each way.  I think next time I will take the train to see the trains.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~