Author Topic: Northeast storm October 2017  (Read 13704 times)

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
Northeast storm October 2017
« on: October 30, 2017, 04:19:39 PM »
A pretty wild storm passed over New England and New York the past 24 hours -- haven't heard the wind howl like that in quite a while.  If the results around here just southwest of Boston are any indication, I assume there's a good amount of tree damage up in Maine.  Hope you all have power or will have it restored soon.

I can imagine Fred and crew will be busy with chain saws this weekend.  Good thing the regular season ended this past Saturday.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 04:59:40 AM by Jason M Lamontagne »
What–me worry?

Mike Arnold

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
    • Twin Forks NRHS
Re: Northeast storm
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 05:23:18 PM »
Hey 1/2 of ny is New England but we never get included any more. Eastern Suffolk county and parts of upstate. My family settled in southhold ct in the 1640s... not our fault Charles 2 hated puritans and gave us to his brother the duke of York! We hate NYC and the citidiots it bring us. One of the slogans for hopeful Peconic County is the "The end of New England" but I think it should include the town of Brookhaven as well so all puritan settlements and manor land are included.
Sorry as an islander who works the sea, their aint no Island left for islanders like me so I left. But my heart is still in New England my heart is still on Long Island. Sorry for the rant they just forget us extreme southern New Englanders.
Mike
United States Merchant Marine.
Cadet at NY Maritime College

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 06:14:56 PM »
Bill,

Any damage to your house or property?

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 06:40:56 PM »
Several trees down in the state. At one time today, there were 450,000 customers without power, the musem being one of them. Reports I got was the garden shed next to the woods track took a hit,one on or through the roof, and something fell close to the water tower.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 07:14:13 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 06:41:23 PM »
Hi Jeff,

No -- we're fine, but thanks for asking.  No property damage, and we only had power out a very short time -- much more fortunate than many.  Utility crews are doing a great job.  I did see a couple of oak trees completely blown over nearby, along with the typical damage to the white pines, but fortunately no homes damaged.  Boston area news is showing a lot of properties damaged.

I know there are some large power outages along the coast in Maine today, hence my original post.

- Bill

What–me worry?

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 07:30:32 PM »
Hopefully an inspection can be done sometime this week to see if there is any other damages. If so, since the state was declared a state of emergency FEMA money might be obtained if necessary. Unfortunately for our friends in NH this is currently not an option. :/

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 07:38:00 PM »
not our fault Charles 2 hated puritans and gave us to his brother the duke of York...
[snip]
...but I think it should include the town of Brookhaven as well so all puritan settlements and manor land are included.

Well going by that criterion, shouldn't the town of Huntington should be included as well? It was named in honor of Oliver Cromwell's hometown of Huntingdon in Cambridgeshire after all, which certainly suggests there were Puritans present in 1654 when it was settled, plus it's east of the Line of the Treaty of Hartford of 1650 which defined the boundary between New England and New Netherland.
(I'm sure that no one who isn't from eastern Long Island has any idea what we're talking about here, so my apologies for furthering the tangent away from the original topic.)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 07:57:52 PM by Philip Marshall »

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 04:48:03 AM »
I was the only one at the RR yesterday, at least during the bulk of the day.

I walked around the Sheepscot campus.  The only damage there is the destroyed roof of Harry’s old garden shed.  I drove into Brook axing and Sheepscot Mills Xing, noting several trees down.

I plan to organize an inspection and clean up train today.

The damage to Maine’s electrical network is staggering.  It will be at least days before power is restored in many areas.

Jason
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 04:59:17 AM by Jason M Lamontagne »

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
Re: Northeast storm October 2017
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 09:00:33 AM »
Jason,

Did the inspection crew discover any additional damage?

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 06:48:17 PM »
There's some pictures on Facebook of some trees downed on the railroad.

Monday was certainly a crazy day.  My house lost power at 2:30 in the morning, we don't yet have it back.  We also lost internet and TV, but fortunately those are now back.  I work for the State in Augusta, and live in Newcastle, normally a 33 mile/50 minute drive.  The State did not call the day off, as they sometimes do for events like snowstorms.  So let me describe my drive in to work.

I normally leave for work at 6.  This time of year, the sun doesn't come up until after 7, so as I had no desire to drive to work in wind-whipped downpour conditions in the dark, I waited until about quarter of 8 to leave.  Meanwhile, I was up at 5:30 getting the generator going, and the rain and wind were plenty strong.

My road had a tree down just up the street from me blocking most of the road, but I could drive around on the shoulder.  Further down the road there was evidence that one or two trees had blocked the road and been cleared.  Route 1 was fine, no blockages at all.  I normally take Rt. 27 from Wiscasset to Randolph, then Rt 9 into Augusta.  Rt 27 was passable, with a few downed trees and many hanging from wires but nothing totally blocking the road, until I got to Dresden.  There, a fire fighter told me to turn back and take Alexander Rd around the blockage.  Alexander Road is a narrow dirt road most of the way, and this morning was also rather muddy with trees partially blocking the road and hung up on wires, almost the entire way.  Fortunately I didn't encounter anyone coming the other way on the narrow portions.  Once I got back on 27, I got another mile before another blockage turned me back to Rt 128.  The fire fighter at the junction of 27 and 128 told me to take Everson Road at the bottom of the hill - another dirt road.  This wasn't quite as bad as Alexander road, but had its share of tree trash on the side.  Finally back to 27, then to Rt 9.  I got into Chelsea on 9, then got diverted onto Cheney Rd - and by inference, Davenport Rd and two other roads.  Except Davenport Rd had a "Road Closed" sign on it.  So I back tracked down to Randolph, over to Gardiner, and back up to Augusta without incident.  It took me about 90 minutes to get to work.

I found out when I got to work that most of the other offices on my street were without power, but we had power.  Then at noon our network went down - and it turned out that we got our network connection from one of the other office without power, and the battery backup had died on the network equipment.

Going home that afternoon I took 295 down to Richmond, and over to 27.  When I got home my road was closed because of a tree completely blocking the road below me.  It wasn't until yesterday that my road was opened.

Downtown Newcastle and Damariscotta were without power for two days - normally they're back up in a day if they go down at all, because the hospital line goes through there.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 10:13:44 PM »
James,

What a saga.  The best news was in the last sentence of the second paragraph... getting the generator going.

Hope things are beginning to return to normal there.

Bill
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 10:14:52 AM »
Bravo, James!

My hat's off to you for such determination. And that's my best hat that's off to you, not that ratty old one I wear at the museum.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 05:11:11 PM »
Here's a November 2nd Wiscasset Newspaper article about out-of-state utility and tree crews being staged out of our museum's parking lot.
What–me worry?

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 05:44:11 PM »
Might be worthy of a mention in the next newsletter ...

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 06:09:02 PM »
Getting the word out .... on NGDF and RYPN
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 06:24:22 PM by Alex Harvilchuck »