Author Topic: Coupler Capers in Mt. Union  (Read 38091 times)

Rick Rowlands

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
    • Youngstown Steel Heritage Website
Re: Coupler Capers in Mt. Union
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2017, 08:43:30 PM »
I will see you in Mount Union Tuesday late morning to drive the skid steer and deliver the wheelsets. 
Rick Rowlands
Chief Engineer
J&L Narrow Gauge Railroad
Youngstown, OH

Rick Rowlands

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2017, 08:18:04 PM »
We got the couplers loaded today at Mount Union.  We met at 9am expecting that the EBT guys would use the backhoe that they keep in the enginehouse to retrieve them, but two cans of ether and two hours later the backhoe still would not start.  So Wayne and I went to plan B and by using my hi-rail truck and the box truck's lift gate we were able to load the couplers without any machinery.   I would drag the couplers out to a location where we could slide them onto the lift gate. 

I will let Wayne elaborate more. I'm still thawing out my fingers after a 4 hour drive back home in the hi-rail truck which is NOT designed for prolonged trips in cold weather. 
Rick Rowlands
Chief Engineer
Youngstown, OH

Rick Rowlands

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2017, 08:19:07 PM »
At least we got a chance to take a good look at No. 3 in the Mount Union enginehouse while waiting to see if the backhoe would start.
Rick Rowlands
Chief Engineer
Youngstown, OH

Rick Rowlands

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2017, 08:20:17 PM »
Dragging the couplers out
Rick Rowlands
Chief Engineer
Youngstown, OH

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2017, 08:54:04 PM »
Indeed we did. If it hadn't been for Rick's truck, we would not have gotten the couplers loaded. In spite of the morning's delay, we had everything wrapped up by 2 p.m. I estimate the couplers each weigh between 300 and 400 pounds, plus another 100 or so for each set of springs and draft plates. We also loaded two pairs of 20-inch cast-iron wheels still on axles, so by the time we get the Jackson & Sharp truck pedestal and journal box casting aboard tomorrow, we'll be right up to the truck's rated capacity. I estimate we've got about 6,000 pound, more or less, on board right now. The truck moves right along, but I can actually watch the fuel gauge as it heads toward empty!

By the way, that's East Broad No. 3, a standard gauge Baldwin 0-6-0 built in 1923. It has been resting in the Mount Union enginehouse since April, 1956.

Delivery Thursday, if all goes well.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 09:15:54 PM by Wayne Laepple »

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2017, 10:59:55 PM »
You guys are amazing!!!

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2017, 01:40:54 AM »
Excellent job.  We could have joined in Mt. Union if scheduled out-patient surgery for Barb and recovery had not been in the way.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2017, 08:55:29 AM »
Fantastic!

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2017, 03:53:00 PM »
Mission Accomplished! I am more than pleased to report that the couplers and associated bits and pieces, along with four 20-inch car wheels, were delivered to  Sheepscot on Dec. 14. The trip was not without drama, however. While charging north at 65 mph or so on I-95 near MP 32 (Biddeford exit), the left steering (front) tire sustained a sidewall separation, resulting in a nearly instantaneous flat tire. Fortunately, I was able to safely make it to the breakdown lane. A phone call to Enterprise's emergency desk, followed by several with a service dispatcher and a nearly three hour wait for assistance, saw us on our way again with a brand new tire.

Upon our arrival at Sheepscot around 1:30 p.m., we found Steve Z. and Fred Morse waiting for us, and they were quickly joined by Phil. B., Brendan Barry and Jason Lamontagne. They had thoughtfully parked a flatcar at the end of track by the station, and with the assistance of the John Deere tractor, they dragged each coupler to the rear of the truck, hoisted each one and loaded them, along with various springs, draft plates and cut levers, on the flatcar.

After a few minutes to inspect recent work by the flanging team, admire preparations for Victorian Christmas and eyeball the bridge (It sure is big!), we chatted for a while with Keith and Ginny Taylor and then headed south again. We overnighted with Gordon Cook in Masss, with final arrival in Lancaster at 1:45 p.m. Dec. 15, just ahead of a promised 1-3 inches of new snow.

Special thanks to the guys for unloading, and to the team (Phillip Marshall, John Kokas, Nick Hovey and Rick Rowlands) who helped remove the couplers in Mount Union and Rick Rowlands for his help loading the couplers on Tuesday. 

Rick Rowlands

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2017, 06:21:48 PM »
Hooray! I was a bit concerned that you would make it up and back safely. Glad that you did. 

I enjoyed being able to help with this project.  If you ever need help with anything else just let me know!
Rick Rowlands
Chief Engineer
Youngstown, OH

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2017, 07:21:08 PM »
I'm glad to hear you and the couplers made it safely, Wayne. This is an unpredictable time of year to be on the road.

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2017, 08:48:55 PM »
It is great to see the wonderful cooperation and the results.
My thanks to all.
Ira

Rick Rowlands

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2017, 09:15:24 PM »
Wayne couldn't reduce this photo in size to post himself, so he sent it to me.  This is all the parts on the flatcar.
Rick Rowlands
Chief Engineer
Youngstown, OH

John Scott

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2017, 10:39:09 PM »
Absolute treasure! Well done.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2017, 10:50:51 PM »
Wow Wayne,  ;D that is a bunch of good railroad stuff.  Well Done!
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~