Author Topic: Victorian Christmas  (Read 13774 times)

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Victorian Christmas
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2008, 07:32:34 PM »
That ia a great video.
Thanks to all,
Ira

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2008, 09:24:32 PM »
I was studying Stephen's beautiful pictures of the Victorian Christmas and struck with a really "off the wall" question.  How do you keep the evergreen wreath that surrounds the number plate on the smoke box door from getting scorched, or worse yet, going up in smoke?  Is it just to darn cold there for this to happen?

John Houghton
(California)

As the unofficial 'wreathier' for "Santa's Alna Express" I can tell you that last year I just stuck it in back of the number plate, and the result was a well roasted wreath. This year I made a simple wire bracket that hung it out from the smokebox front so that only a few needles got scorched and it looked much better too. The wreaths fit over the number plate pretty well, and there are usually several vendors set up by the side of Route 1 between Bath and Wiscasset who are happy to sell a few more wreaths that close to Christmas. IMHO the splash of red from the ribbons really completes the picture.
Gawdon

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2008, 03:41:58 AM »
Good job Gordon.  The wreath looks great on the front of the engine.  Wish I could have been there to see it in person.  Maybe next year.
Duncan

John Houghton

• Museum Member
  • Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2008, 05:33:02 AM »
Thanks to Bernie, Mike and Gordon for their answers to my question about "overheating" the wreath.  And, as someone else mentioned, the red ribbon really adds the perfect accent to the loco-with-wreath winter scene.  Stephen's pictures are stunning!!!!!!

John Houghton
John Houghton