Author Topic: Northeast storm October 2017  (Read 1275 times)

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: Northeast storm October 2017
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 11:29:18 PM »
Might be worthy of a mention in the next newsletter ...
As news, I fear it will be a little stale by the time it makes it to people's mailboxes in mid-December, especially since it is now available on the Forum, Facebook, and NGDF. As our social media presence becomes more dominant, I think that the WW&F Newsletter is gradually transitioning from a "latest news" source to a "story behind the story" source. If I, or anyone else, can find a way to transition this story from "news" to "background," I think it would make a good article. Thanks for the suggestion.  :)

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 12:27:40 AM »
Being 180 miles away from Alna I've managed to have my own story losing power in Alna. After no power since Monday somehow 220 volts went into one feed wire and none in the other instead of 110 in each today. Fortunately my painter was there and heard the light bulbs popping all over the house. He immediately called my electrician who then called 911 when he arrived on the scene. Thanks to my good friends on the Alna VFD my house didn't burn down. Now I'm faced with replacing appliances, water heaters, septic pumps, well pump and who knows what else. Oh, and no power for a few more days.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 01:35:39 AM by Dave Buczkowski »

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 02:09:36 AM »
Dave,

Sorry to hear about the electrical problems. It was fortunate the painter was at the house.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 02:15:09 AM »
I have heard that some rolling stock at MNGM was damaged during the storm. Can anyone elaborate?

Jeff S.

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 02:32:37 AM »
Parts of the roofs of combine 12 (electrical and sound car for regular trains) and car 19 (out of service) suffered roof damage. In addition a portion of the old part of the engine house was blown out about 8 feet above the ground. Weekday volunteers have been working on at least car 12 to repair the roof in time for Polar Express, but I don't have an update on their progress. Car 19 I haven't heard anything beyond the initial report. Steam team volunteers will have their hands full with doing the fra prep tomorrow but we'll attempt to get to the engine house and other projects as manpower dictates.
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2017, 10:17:43 PM »
There's still a large number of isolated areas that have trees down and lines down, with no crews that have yet visited.  On our way to Albion and back today we often encountered cones and flags on 218 and 194.  Not as bad as you get further north, but we were on numbered roads and not back roads.

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 11:02:29 PM »
So finally this evening, after 7 days and 14 hours, my power was restored.  The utility trucks really swarmed our road, there were at least a dozen if not more.

I noticed that Alna finally got off the list of outages. 

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 11:19:07 PM »
Glad to hear that you have your power back, James.

Jeff S.

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2017, 03:29:08 AM »
Wow, James! I imagine your generator engine will need an oil change after that workout. But I hope not new piston rings!

Al Michelis

• Museum Member
  • Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2017, 11:00:18 PM »
James,
How brave of you to take Alexander Rd. Fire dept closed it after I went back across it to 128 where I live. Seems there was a wire down somewhere that people were driving over. Mud was too thick to see it. Hmm - told the fire dept where it was and that I had turned around.  Now I need to replace a charred pair of jeans.

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2017, 12:08:59 AM »
If there was only one wire down on Alexander road, I would have been surprised.  I recall several trees down, partially blocking the road.  Not to mention trees held up be wires, etc.