Author Topic: Moonlight Extra Train celebrating the Apple Harvest, September 30, 6pm  (Read 13674 times)

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
Re: Moonlight Extra Train celebrating the Apple Harvest, September 30, 6pm
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 03:39:25 PM »
It's from Peppa Pig ....

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 04:43:42 PM »
Plant in June. Harvest now.  About every town had a potato storage barn located near the railroad.

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 08:45:33 PM »
I had actually planted some potatoes outside the Percival house earlier this year. Just dug them last week. The one I tried was pretty tasty!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 06:03:01 AM by Stephen Piwowarski »

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 06:00:03 AM »
Those were steam-powered potatoes.  Steam makes everything better.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 08:08:05 AM »
Actually, foil wrapped baked potatoes on the backhead are really good!
Moxie Bootlegger

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 08:15:13 AM »
The WW&F Potato Festival....

I can see it all now -- baked potatoes, french fries, potato salad....a potato sculpture contest, a hot potato toss, Mr. Potato Head kits for the kids....

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 08:22:44 AM »
I think you're onto something, Wayne. Don't forget potato sack races.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 08:25:02 AM »
Just checked online. Burlap potato sacks are still made.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 08:25:58 AM »
Yep. Potato sack races for sure! Our enthusiasm knows no bounds!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:27:40 AM by Wayne Laepple »

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 08:30:01 AM »
There is an Australian jazz band called -- you guess it -- the Hot Potato Band. I wonder how much it would cost to import them....?

Terry Harper

• Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 09:33:46 AM »
I love the "Apple Harvest" train & event. What a wonderful way to bring in new visitors and to create a interesting, educational and interactive experience.
I can just imagine a stop to off-load crates of apples from a farmers truck or wagon into a WW&F box car.

These are the type of events that will keep people coming back and generate new interest. A museum should be a living thing - not a stagnant collection gathering dust. This is what makes the WW&F so special to many. Kudos!

In regards to potatoes.... I am up here in Fort Fairfield and believe me the harvest is on! What a great time of year! Wonderful fall foliage the urgency of the work, cool crisp days (well... usually) all combine into a vibrant atmosphere and sense of community and purpose. Makes me long for the days when we hand picked as kids - 40 cents a barrel, 100 barrels per day (with good picking). At the end of harvest we used our earnings to buy school cloths.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2017, 06:11:56 PM »
OK, you all picked up big time on the potato scheme for a special event.  Wonderful ideas, and I'm sure Steve P will take those to heart in planning future events.

Another idea in response to Robert's question which would also make a great event:  MILK

The Turner Creamery was pretty unique back in those early days, and it depended on a steady supply of milk from farms along the WW&F.  Another whole special train event could celebrate that history.  It could be special summer evening run featuring ice cream, and lots of other ideas which you all will undoubtedly come up with.

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2017, 09:21:14 PM »
Ok, so I've been watching these ideas develop with a lot of interest. I think a perfect tie in for dairy/milk is the Ice Cream Social. And... In case we missed our relevance in modern society, I was just talking to a Maine Cheesemaker from the Common Ground Fair about ways of increasing efficiency and lowering production costs. One of the ideas being tossed around is constructing a cooperative creamery to handle dairy processing... Not unlike Turner Center in Wiscasset over 100 years ago!

The potato idea is slick and totally new. I'd suggest we don't do the same exact thing again next year, but if it's well received do another apple related event. Pie baking/eating contest anyone?!

Steve

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2017, 04:35:06 AM »
The thought of an Apple Fest sounds great.  Hand operated cider presses are still around, the thought of apple pie is great,  but how about apple sauce using a colonial style campfire tripod and copper pot?  Also can't forget Apple cider donuts - my favorite!
Moxie Bootlegger

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2017, 09:27:34 PM »
Well, this year's Fall Festival and the Apple Harvest Moonlight Train have now moved into the history books. Annie and I had a great time at the Fall Festival which was superb! Everyone we met or spent time with seemed to be having a great time and it was just about as relaxed as could be. It was a great success.

Meanwhile, the evening train, which was a sort of 'proof of concept' for similar trains in the future was wonderful. Certainly attendance exceeded our wildest imagination. I had anticipated 30-60, but we wound up with a full 3 car train of nearly 100 passengers. The crew who helped put this together and happen was awesome, including many who had already put in a full day during the Fall Festival. Most impressive was how, when faced with the larger than expected crowd, everyone came together and helped the event run smoothly without missing a beat.

Improvising on short notice to help fill some time before everyone got situated, Dana delivered his great story Gagnon, world champeen moose caller. John, our speaker did an awesome job conveying his story of apples in the Sheepscot Valley which actually went back to the earliest cultivation of apples in Kazakstan.

Again, people seemed to have a wonderful time. Alan Downey pointed out that we had a lot of first time visitors who were local, yet came because the event was something they were interested in and the train seemed like a cool way to get there.

As for me, I couldn't imagine a better adopted family who was willing to hear out my crazy ideas, help develop them and then bring them to fruition. I hope that those of you who attended enjoyed the evening. Thank you all volunteers and passengers alike for helping to make the event a success.

Can't wait to do it again!

Now, onward to Head Tide :)