Author Topic: Moonlight Extra Train celebrating the Apple Harvest, September 30, 6pm  (Read 13573 times)

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
Hi All,

It's high time we share this, not only publicly, but with all of the folks who follow us here on the forum. Next Saturday, September 30th is the Museum's Fall Festival. We're looking forward to it, and look forward to seeing folks who have made attending a tradition along with new faces.

We are adding something new! For a long time, folks have been asking for us to run an evening train. This year we partnered with an expert on local apples, John Bunker of Palermo, to create a unique and wonderful Fall evening train. John is well known in these parts for his work with Maine Heritage Orchards at MOFGA and FEDCO Trees. He also has his Out on a Limb CSA. He also wrote "Not Far from the Tree: A Brief History of the Apples and the Orchards of Palermo, Maine, 1804-2004"

The train will leave Sheepscot promptly at 6pm, and arrive at Alna Center where a bonfire, cider, and snacks will await. John will share the history of apples and cider making in the Sheepscot Valley, along with the transport of the apple harvest on the WW&F. For those of you who have heard stories of how apples growing along the railway wound up there, there will be a special surprise.

John also welcomes anyone who has an apple they would like to know more about to bring a specimen to the event. He will identify it for you.

After enjoying sunset at Alna Center, the train will return to Sheepscot in darkness amidst the warm glow of oil lamps.

Tickets will be the regular price ($8 adults/ $7 60+/ $5 12 & under)
Tickets will be available beginning at 5pm at Sheepscot Station.
The Moonlight Extra will run weather permitting.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Moonlight Extra Train celebrating the Apple Harvest, September 30, 6pm
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 11:20:57 AM »
This is brilliant! Whoever came up with this idea is a genius. It's a perfect example of making area history come alive.

It may not be a sellout this time around, but it could become a popular event in the future.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 11:45:58 AM »
Steve spearheaded this idea, and presented it to the board. Anything different or easily added like this is worth trying. He has also been trying to think of differrent ideas to try and have an event every month.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 01:18:52 PM »
A tip of the hat to Steve and his fantastic idea.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 03:54:54 PM »
This  at-sunset trip, promoting relaxed, autumn family fun and highlighting local Maine history, sounds fabulous! I detect an atmosphere of easygoing, ruralness that is so appealing, especially since I spent my first 15 years on Staten Island, now jammed with un-ending neighborhoods!  :'(

I would ride if I was closer.
Paul Uhland

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 08:45:24 PM »
Hi all,

From the get go, this idea has been a partnership between Alan Downey and I. As Mike said, the board has been very supportive throughout. The train crews are also critical to making it happen, as is Jason who, as trainmaster, has worked hard to develop effective operating plans. It's been great bringing this to fruition and we hope that everyone who attends gets to enjoy a seldom seen part of the railway. We've been talking over the idea for months now, but he was the one who really lit the fire in my imagination. We started to talk over ideas and figure out what would work best.

Potentially, this will lead to similar events next year and beyond.

Robert Hale

• Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 11:04:45 AM »
This might bring up another topic: What commodities/farms/factories are along the ROW? Since I am not from Maine I am not familiar with the area but in addition to this charter are there other types of items that the RR carried or could carry to incorporate a annual/biannual event in the RR operations? Maybe moving harvested logs, or materials or harvested food/materials?

Rob

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 01:34:04 PM »
Do you mean the entire ROW between Wiscasset and Albion/Winslow?  There's virtually no factories left, only farms.  Maine has lost a lot of manufacturing in the last 100 years.  Most of the ROW is now in the woods, mostly being used as a ski/snowmobile/walking trail, or left fallow.  I can think of one lumber company, in China, set up on the ROW itself.

Steve Zuppa

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 03:57:53 PM »
We could use some bodies at Alna Center to help organize activities on Saturday. It's light duty but necessary.
Don't ask me. I only cut the grass. Oops, I don't even do that anymore.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 06:35:54 PM »
RE Robert's question:  Potatoes!!  Potatoes were a big commodity on the WW&F.  There were large potato houses at points along the line.

We could easily create a "Potato Night" similar to the apple event this weekend.

Remember that potatoes are still one of the major agricultural products of Maine, and help drive Maine's economy.

I'm sure we find similar kinds of event support from the Maine potato industry...

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 07:12:00 PM »
As an aside to Steve Z's earlier note- he needs people during the day to assist with Fall Festival at Alna Center.

Robert Hale

• Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 07:54:34 AM »
RE Robert's question:  Potatoes!!  Potatoes were a big commodity on the WW&F.  There were large potato houses at points along the line.

We could easily create a "Potato Night" similar to the apple event this weekend.

Remember that potatoes are still one of the major agricultural products of Maine, and help drive Maine's economy.

I'm sure we find similar kinds of event support from the Maine potato industry...

Interesting. BTW what is the growing season for potatoes? It is a bulk agricultural product that lends it's self to rail transport in rural areas. Potato night with French fries and potato pancakes!!

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 08:13:52 AM »
The last time the WW&F ran any public night trains was back in 2009 when we ended the Halloween trains and the night time Victorian Christmas ride. The night train for Christmas was neat, as three small light displays were set up along the tracks. I think it would be neat to redevelope the Christmas lights trackside for a few evening trains.

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 12:40:47 PM »

Interesting. BTW what is the growing season for potatoes? It is a bulk agricultural product that lends it's self to rail transport in rural areas. Potato night with French fries and potato pancakes!!

Here's my 4 year old's thought on the concept of "Potato Night" when I mentioned it to her...

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 02:35:47 PM »
Very creative and artistic! :) The more I look, the more potatoes I see.
-John