Author Topic: September 2017 work planning  (Read 38319 times)

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
Re: September 2017 work planning
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2017, 06:08:14 PM »
This Week -

* Shop - Big Joe received repair/adjustment to the travel guides for the side motion of the tamper heads.

* Gift Shop - The new heating unit was installed which required a few changes in the northeast end of the freight house.

* Fall Work Weekend prep - More ties were cut and loaded onto the flatcar.  A load of stone and the load of ties were set out on the mill siding at ToM.

* Parking Lot - Clean up continued with the old concrete forms and other items being removed from the northwest part of the lot.  Truck loads of gravel were delivered to be spread out between the garage and Woods Track to make a place for the delivery of the Trout Brook bridge.

* Fall Festival - The "pickers tent" was set up at Alna Center and the Model AA truck got a full gas tank and oil change to be ready to give hay rides.  Sandwiches were made Friday night to be sent to AC on Saturday.

* Grounds - The spare switch stands were moved away from in front of the garage, back next to Harry's garden shed.

* Grade - The big washout was filled in and the sides covered with rip rap.  More loads of fill material were delivered to the next location north, where a new culvert was installed. The fill will help where the grade is low south of the culvert.

* Moonlight Apple train - Hand lanterns, markers and coach lamps were cleaned and filled for use on Saturday night.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2017, 05:32:46 PM »
Work done on Saturday Sept 30:

* Fall Festival: Very good turnout, over 300 people.  Lots of fun had by all.  We stuck to the time table, with the second class train running as a full sized train.  I think there were lots of new people to the railroad.  Lots of volunteer help at AC as well.
* Mountain ROW: Mike finished up.
* Ties: Fred and crew cut up a bunch more ties.

Not sure what else was going on - not much from what I could see.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2017, 09:05:55 PM »
Alna Center Report -

* Trains - Running two trains worked well with the meet being at AC.  Northbound trains held the main while southbound trains went in the hole.  This operation gave visitors options as to when they could ride the complete trip and when they could detrain to enjoy the attractions at AC.  The AC crew worked well with guiding guests to games, the music tent, treats and hay ride. 

* Hay Ride - The AA truck earned it's keep.  I drove 8 trips and Mike drove 5.  Most rides I gave were filled with 10 - 12 people.

* Games - Our traditional games like sack races, bean bag toss, bobbing for apples, kite flying and pumpkin decorating were popular.  We saw many happy kids.

* Moonlight Special - In a word, WOW.  Steve P. did an outstanding job planning the event.  He, along with Alan Downey and other volunteers spent much time on it and it showed with close to 100 people gathering at AC at dusk.  We needed a 3 car train to carry the passengers up to the talk by our guest speaker, Mr. John Bunker.  The crowd assembled in a semi-circle around the camp fire that Mr. Bunker stood next to.  The history of Maine apple trees and orchards along with descriptions of the types and shipping of apples made for a fascinating talk.  Our very own Dana Wigwam Deering warmed up the large crowd with his famous "Moose Callair" story.  Adding to the sunset scene was a nice camp fire and 500 luminaries marking pathways to the cider tent and AC depot.  It was a nice event that impressed even veteran WW&F volunteers.  The train proceeded north to ToM after dropping off the guests.  The crew had a lay over at ToM until the talk was done and returned to AC to board the passengers.  The station lanterns and stove made a nice place to catch the train.  The guests kept telling us how much they enjoyed the train ride, camp fire, fresh cider (made from local apples, some from along the R-O-W) and Mr. Bunker's talk.  They even gave us a round of applause before boarding the train.  The ride back with oil lamps lighting the coaches was a real treat. Back at Sheepscot, the yard crew set lit switch lamps for the north and south mainline switches which hasn't been done in years. The switch lamps really looked great!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 06:57:58 AM by Stewart "Start" Rhine »

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2017, 09:33:10 PM »
Way to go WWFers! Hope  this will be the first of more Moonlight Specials.  ;)
Nice to see you use luminarias to guide folks to activities, are spectacularly everywhere during  NM Christmas seasons.  ;D
Paul Uhland

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2017, 10:13:44 PM »
Just got home back in Mass. from today's activities.  It was a very enjoyable day, with many young families coming out for the Fall Festival.

And regarding the Moonlight Train, I have to echo Start's word:  WOW!  Over the past 16 years I've seen some special moments at the museum, and tonight's event joined that list.  Steve P. and everyone else who made tonight's event happen should be very, very satisfied with the result.  Thanks! 
What–me worry?

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2017, 09:01:37 AM »
Congrats to all the volunteers that helped make this special event a success.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2017, 05:22:48 PM »
Thanks to Susan Johns and the Wiscasset Newspaper for the fabulous coverage:

http://m.wiscassetnewspaper.com/article/fall-comes-alna-railway-museum/92621

Jason

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2017, 09:37:47 PM »
Thank you guys. I couldn't have done it without all of you. I was a bit more long winded in my other post, if you want to read it, but- the enthusiasm and history you've all shared with me over the past 10 years was the key in making this happen. We're the caretakers of a special place, but the people make the place.

Can't wait to do it again!

Next stop, Head Tide :)
Steve

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2017, 01:21:12 PM »
Very nice coverage.