Author Topic: September 2017 work planning  (Read 38366 times)

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
Re: September 2017 work planning
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2017, 10:24:45 AM »
Sunday, September 17th -

* Birthday Party - The biggest event by far was a Harry Potter themed birthday party for a 12 year old boy.  Over 60 people attended with about 40 children in the group.  Most of the kids and a few adults were in costume.  The group was so large that we offered the use of caboose 320 and coach 3.  The cars were tied down on the run through track while the guests enjoyed refreshments.  The birthday cars were added to the 3:00 o'clock trip, creating a 4 car train.  Engineman Joe and Ashcat J.B. had their work cut out for them but things went well and the guests had a great time.  For some it was their first visit and a number of them said they would be back for another ride.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2017, 06:07:34 AM »
Anticipated work for weekend of Sept 23:

* Mountain ROW: if there's anything left to do.
* Car shop: starting to fill it back up with stuff.
* Track: Stone delivery?  Tie delivery?
* Measuring: For our 5-year plan submission to the Town's planning board, I need to walk the line to get an accurate location of culverts (the old location log is based off of W&Q measurements and is somewhat inaccurate).  A helper would be most appreciated.  Someone to walk with the measuring wheel, and someone with a clipboard to locate the culverts and write things down.  We don't need to start measuring from the end of track, since I have measurements for crossings, switch locations, etc.  Just need to find the culvert and measure from the last known location.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:19:31 AM by Ed Lecuyer »

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2017, 06:37:20 AM »
Yesterday, Mark and I rearranged the cellar for the FWW dining room. A little more has to be done.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2017, 06:38:31 AM »
Talking with our contractor Monday, he said he may be there Saturday to remove the stumps and slope the area.

I have one more culvert to install yet, along with some stones to place around the culvert inlet and outlets.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2017, 07:31:46 AM »
* Measuring: For our 5-year plan submission to the Town's planning board, I need to walk the line to get an accurate location of culverts (the old location log is based off of W&Q measurements and is somewhat inaccurate).  A helper would be most appreciated.  Someone to walk with the measuring wheel, and someone with a clipboard to locate the culverts and write things down.  We don't need to start measuring from the end of track, since I have measurements for crossings, switch locations, etc.  Just need to find the culvert and measure from the last known location.

FYI, the 5 year plan is also extremely important for seeking Grants and Sponsorships. It shows that the Museum has a plan and is working toward that plan. The 2005 and 2012 versions demonstrate a 10+ year track record of progress against plans (pun intended). Thus the Museum is a good investment for their donated funds.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2017, 07:33:47 AM »
Please DO NOT fill the car shop back up with stuff.  We are still under the concrete contractor's recommended 2 weeks of light duty, 4 weeks of heavy duty.

Further, we are hoping to actually design the space usage, complete with a floor plan and presentation and requested board vote at next meeting.

Please, please, please don't start loading up the space.  We have a blank slate to intelligently work from.

Also- do NOT connect the rails yet- also the concrete contractors recommendation.

Thanks,
Jason

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2017, 09:11:44 AM »
There's a difference between our Long Range Plan and the Town's Planning Board 5-year plan.  Our LRP sets our goals and desires, from which we work from.  The 5-year plan takes from the LRP, but provides more detail to the Town, and allows public input on what we plan to do.  With occasional heavy traffic at our big events, and work down the Mountain near or in environmentally sensitive areas, there's more scrutiny on us this time around.

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2017, 11:24:59 AM »
Mark and I rearranged the tables an chairs for the FWW.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2017, 06:36:00 PM »
Having a bit of experience with concrete laying, I want to back Jason's directive-- the new shop slab is a week old, has attained about half of its ability to support heavy loads,  can handle normal foot traffic.
But...it is still not yet optimally crystallized, its minimal crack resistance is even weaker, the surface can be gouged and scraped  easily.

What now exists is such a great $10,000 improvement, needs  more of a 'set' to withstand shop use, will be well worth it.

I'm thinking by Columbus Day should be the time to begin using it as intended, starting with that barn dance!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:48:18 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2017, 10:04:18 AM »
To add to the to-do list for this weekend, we need a hole dug 16-18" deep, 3 to 3 1/2 feet across for a memorial tree to be planted next week. Followed by a dedication ceremony during FWW. See myself or Stewart for the location.
Mike

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2017, 01:38:30 PM »
This morning Mark, Steve Z. and I cut Two bundles of ties as it was cooler 53 degrees.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2017, 08:42:57 AM »
I knew you couldn't stay away from the ties, Fred. ;D

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2017, 05:13:55 PM »
Work done on Saturday Sep 23:

* Ties: Fred and others cut more ties.
* Car shop: Zack and others worked in the shop.
* Measuring: Bill and I walked the line to find and measure the culverts.  After reaching the end we walked to Rt 218 and back up the hill.
* Culvert: Mike finished the last culvert.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2017, 05:58:10 PM »
Congrats to Mike on the culvert work.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2017, 07:45:21 PM »
I may or may not post pictures. The down the mountain thread seems rather off topic.. Jeff stopped by this afternoon. I looked up and and he was driving his Jeep toward me. We talked about what needed to be done and he said he would get to it maybe this week.

Then about an hour later, I heard some clattering. Jeff walked his excavator down and removed 2 stumps, resloped the access to the ROW, and was headed for the big culvert when I left. Looks much different.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 07:50:35 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike