Author Topic: Shop Building Improvements - Official Work Thread  (Read 10267 times)

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Shop Building Improvements - Official Work Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2017, 03:51:57 PM »
I absolutely recommend you shop project guys all wear hard hats , having been saved from severe head injury during C&TS Friends mandatory hardhat summer work in Chama.
During a rider boxcar remodel, a metal chair base was carelessly tossed out a window, knocking me down next to the car like a bowling pin. Damage: a hardhat gouge.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 04:07:26 AM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2017, 02:15:41 AM »
The form for the center support posts has been built and the sand for mixing the concrete will be delivered on Weds.  Zack hopes to pour the footer early on Saturday.  Today, as a safety measure hooks and ropes were installed across the north bay 2 & 3 doors to keep visitors out of the construction zone when the doors are open.

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2017, 04:58:18 PM »
Some update pictures from Jason.

Steve removing the remains of one on the mudsills that use to run crosswise across the building. Footers are going to be poured in these locations before the new floor goes in to provide support for the posts in the shop wall. This is the wall between bay 4 and the machine shop.

After the mudsill remains are pulled out. The styrofoam under the mudsills is against the machine shop slab.

The center and end footers are in for the posts to hold up the steel ibeams.

Center footer

End footers

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2017, 10:36:06 PM »
We installed one of the center support posts today.  It holds no weight because the south post is not yet installed and the staging is still in place.  Stone that will be under the track in bay 3 was cut done to the correct grade today and the excess crushed rock put on the Woods Track.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2017, 06:53:44 PM »
This week:

* West wall post support pockets were dug out this week.  The pockets allow for concrete to be poured under the posts that hold up the west wall of bay 3.

* The south I beam support post was cut, installed and bolted in place.

* Two of the temporary floor support beams have been removed along with their staging.  Excess blocking and staging ties were removed from the building.

* The second I beam was brought over on Weds, the mounting holes were drilled and lifting rings installed on Friday.  The beam has been moved into the north end of bay 3 to stage it for lifting on Saturday.

Next -

* Install the stand-off tabs under the original wooden beam.

* Set the lifting beams and chain falls for the north I beam.  Install guide planks for the lift.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2017, 10:46:36 PM »
Start...Seems much easier and faster for you,  clearer to me, to show pics of each task, with less need for explanation.  ;)
The old 'picture's worth a thousand words' thing.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:55:32 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2017, 02:17:41 AM »
Today -

* The second (north) I beam was lifted in place and both support posts installed under it. After some careful lessening of the tension from the temporary cribbing, the staged supports were removed. The work took 8 hours but the full weight of the second floor is now on the new I beam set.

Pending -

* The center support posts need to be bolted together and lags installed in the north post cap.

* A set of tie-in fish plates will be installed between the two I beams.

* The jenga tie stacks can be removed to continue floor work such as removing the last sub-sills and digging out a track trough in bay 2. 

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2017, 01:57:04 PM »
Any chance there will be a photo of the completed work?

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2017, 04:23:16 PM »
Jeff, you can not believe the amount of room in there now. Once the Jenga piles are out of the way, I am sure someone will take a picture.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2017, 04:35:15 PM »
It's not that there is any more room, it's just that there is more usable space with the support columns missing.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2017, 06:18:09 PM »
No, actually more room. The posts and everything attached to them took up quite a bit of room
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2017, 06:20:55 PM »
A good house-cleaning always gives you more room.  Museum folks are pack-rats as we never know when we'll ever need or use a part or piece of machinery again.  Occupational hazard................. ;)

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2017, 02:23:15 AM »
All the Jenga tie stacks were removed from the shop today.  Fred hauled the ties over by the run through track.  Some of the larger rocks were removed as well.  We still need to cut and pull the last sub-sill that's under the old lathe pad in bay 2. 

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2017, 12:49:08 PM »
With the post and beam project completed, does that mean that the concrete floor will be poured soon?

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2017, 04:53:15 PM »
Maybe two weeks, there's a few things to be done prior to the pour -

* Pour the concrete support tabs that go under the west wall posts.

* Remove the final sub-sill that's in the old lathe pad.

* Prepare/grade the floor including re-grading the track trench in bay 3 and digging one on bay 2.  This provides a thicker floor under the track.

* Set a skirt board along the west wall where the concrete floor height will be higher than the existing sills. 

* Set rails (running and mud) in both bays to be ready for the contractor to set his rebar.

We are working today, installing the I beam fish plate, bolting the center posts together and pulling the last concrete ties out of bay 2.  More may be done depending on Fred's energy level (or if he wants to watch the eclipse).