Author Topic: July 2017 Work Planning  (Read 34620 times)

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
Re: July 2017 Work Planning
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2017, 09:57:52 PM »
Does anyone know what was done today!

Fred -- what did you do today?

Fred's modest, but I know he cut 42 recently delivered wooden guardrail posts down to 2-foot gauge size for ties today.  Not a fun job in today's hot weather!
What–me worry?

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2017, 03:59:34 AM »
If anyone else did anything interesting it would be great if they would post it for people to read.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2017, 07:45:03 AM »
Not very interesting, Fred, but I cut grass and brush around Jayne's Way crossing yesterday before the start of train service.

Sorry, John M. -- I wasn't able to find the phone line with the blade trimmer this time around!
What–me worry?

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2017, 07:56:18 AM »
If anyone else did anything interesting it would be great if they would post it for people to read.
I replaced three rotten planks in the picnic tables. There are still four screws needed in the underside braces, but Steve Piwowarski promised to install those before hauling one of the tables north.

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2017, 04:35:42 PM »
It has been duly noted and is on the register of work orders to be completed today :)

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2017, 06:34:14 PM »
RowMow 1 was run this afternoon after last train. East side of the tracks is now done. Then I tried something different. Parked the car on a crossing and hossed it around. Usually I use a jack and rotate that way, but it is very unballanced and difficult to dangerous to do alone. So after turning the car, I headed North to Cockeye Curve, and mowed south, cutting the west side to the Tool house, then mowed into the North yard and put the mower away.

Nice bit of ingenuity there, Mike.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2017, 09:11:56 AM »
If, during the week, someone could load 3 good rails from the rail pile onto a flat car, as well as the matching joint bars (6-6-6) to be ready to go North Saturday morning it would be great. 3 of the 4 rails that we hauled up are 65lb. And if they get delivered before Saturday that is good too.

Saturday, I really want to build that track to keep on schedule.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2017, 04:35:16 PM »
As of right now I have Saturday off, so I can help build track after I get out of work. Could be early, could be mid day.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2017, 08:24:30 PM »
Mike,

Today we took 3 ea 56# rails north along with joint bars and unloaded them so the wear pattern was appropriate east vs west. We had to spin one which was complicated by the one tree that Fred left standing near the track.

Bill & the weekday crew
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2017, 09:12:13 PM »
We also spent a good deal of time working on bays 2 & 3 of the shop.  The crew included Zack, Leon and Fred.

* We removed more bracing from the original posts.

* Set up additional staging in bay 2.

* Removed the work bench.

* Removed more of the concrete ties.

* Lifted and set the first the first temporary support beam on the blocking that will hold the second floor when the old support posts are removed.

After 3+ hours of this work, the trash collecting job was starting to look pretty good!

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2017, 11:06:19 PM »
We also cleaned out the lumber from between tracks 2 and 3 in the carbarn to provide a good walking surface for visitors. Interpretive signage has begun going onto the cars in the carbarn so people have some idea of what they are looking at when they visit. Not anything particularly lengthy, just an overview of each car's history, what it is used for, and what our plans are for them.

Bill and the crew also installed the last two long switch timbers to support a switchstand in the north yard.

I chopped a bunch of firewood for No. 9 and got some blisters, which I deserved.

Jason continued flanging No. 10's new backhead. There is a movie documenting the process on facebook here: www.facebook.com/wwandf21campaign

Stephen

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2017, 05:55:54 AM »
Anticipated work for weekend of July 29:

* Car shop upgrade prep work
* Mountain track building
* Mountain culvert replacement work
* #10 boiler flanging
* Running trains, giftshop, kitchen

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2017, 06:32:09 AM »
Over the past few days 72 of the 84 some detail parts required to complete for the two north yard switches have been fabricated. They are of about 10 sizes and 10 different thicknesses and are now awaiting spike hole punching and welding.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2017, 02:29:24 PM »
Bill have you seen all the painted bars along the line? I have been working on getting a pile of replacement bars together. The replacements are piled at the end of the woods track pile. I will be down Saturday, so if desired I can drop the bars off where they are going. We also need around 100 between Sheepscot mills and the trestle. All of them are written down on the inspection sheets, but the most critical ones are currently painted.

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2017, 06:11:28 PM »
Some work done today. Welding, stacking timbers, foot bridge building, working on switch points, I don't know what all else was done. People working on the different things could tell us more details.