W.W.&F. Discussion Forum
July 24, 2017, 01:44:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Notice: As the roundhouse turns.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: July 2017 Work Planning  (Read 2734 times)
James Patten
Wearer of Too Many Hats
Global Moderator
Trainmaster

Loco for 6

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2017, 12:14:51 PM »

Anticipated work for weekend of July 1 & 2, 2017:

* Boxcar 67
* Stone delivery: the flatcar on Tuesday was loaded with stone.  There's still plenty of places that needs it.
* Flatcar 118
* Bay 2 cleanup - as 67 can roll, we can attack Bay 2.
* Mainline track extension, in prep for culvert.
* This is the first weekend of the heart of the season - steam from now until Labor Day Weekend (crew and equipment permitting, of course).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 04:51:51 PM by James Patten » Logged
Mike Fox
Museum Member
Superintendent

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 03:16:22 PM »

If there are some takers, after the stone train we could have a short track building party at the North End, returning south on the first train. I would like to go up first thing with the Brookville and get things ready.

Mike
Membership Secretary, Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc. CMO of off rail equipment
Fred Morse
Museum Member
Fireman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 06:44:30 PM »

The stone train was emptied today, so we can take a crew whenever you want.
James Patten
Wearer of Too Many Hats
Global Moderator
Trainmaster

Loco for 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 10:36:06 PM »

Work done on Saturday July 1:

* Flatcar 118: Zack got the end beam on the missing end (currently the north end).  The decking and brakes still need to be completed.
* Shop bay 3: We removed all the long lumber from in between and next to the rails, and stored them in the car barn, in prep for concreting.
* Culverts: The big job of the day was culverts.  We got all 4 big culverts moved from the parking lot to the Top of the Mountain, via the tractor and the flatcar.  After the first culvert was moved something broke on the bucket of the tractor.  The tractor was repaired and works better than ever. 
* Boxcar 67: I assume there was work going on, I think Jay was working on something for it.
* Switching: After hours, Mike needed to do some switching, to get the mower car ready for work on Monday.
Stewart "Start" Rhine
Museum Member
Trainmaster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 10:38:39 PM »

Jay worked on brake equipment for Big Joe.
Bill Reidy
Museum Member
Fireman

Life member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 01:20:41 AM »

* Culverts: The big job of the day was culverts.  We got all 4 big culverts moved from the parking lot to the Top of the Mountain, via the tractor and the flatcar.  After the first culvert was moved something broke on the bucket of the tractor.  The tractor was repaired and works better than ever. 

Fred is a slave driver.
Mike Fox
Museum Member
Superintendent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 01:59:24 AM »

As part of the gravel relocation last month, we have created this parking area for the equipment. And since the dozer was not needed to block the culverts, it is now parked out of the way here, with the excavator. The Excavator leaves in 2 weeks to go north and will not return until at least the big culvert is in.

Mike
Membership Secretary, Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc. CMO of off rail equipment
Mike Fox
Museum Member
Superintendent

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 03:11:17 AM »

Switching..

Ed and I moved the fire car, Ichabod and the new work car to Car Barn track 3, where they joined a tip car and the work flat with the Shingle mill motor on it, outside of the building. Caboose is blocking indoor storage, and with the poor switch arrangement still, it can stay in there.

Brookville and the mower car are in Car Barn 2, waiting for the Golden Rod express, which may depart Monday, depending on repairs and weather.

Mike
Paul Uhland
Museum Member
Fireman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 04:34:32 AM »

Anybody...what is the Goldenrod Express??

Paul Uhland
Mike Fox
Museum Member
Superintendent

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 12:32:53 PM »

Someone called the mowing train that one time Paul, because while you stood on a step as a brakeman, you were getting whacked with Goldenrod.
If unfamiliar with Goldenrod, it grows to about a 5 foot height, with a stem that is between 1/4 and 1/2 thick.

Mike
Bill Reidy
Museum Member
Fireman

Life member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 02:37:31 PM »

Might be the Thistle Express this next trip -- the thistle is about that tall just north of Albee's Crossing on the east side.  I wouldn't want to get whacked by that!
Paul Uhland
Museum Member
Fireman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 09:22:25 PM »

Ah, I remember the great Back East Summer Weed Eruption! Here in Abq our usually meager rainfall, <10 inches a year, has been even meager-er lately. My riding mower sits in its little former one-stall barn, while our current near-100s heat wave has incinerated my weeds. No complaints there.
For thrills we have a few area forest fires hazing the heavens.
You'd be surprised how much of NM is NOT high desert.

Looks like loads of busy at WW&F.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 09:27:24 PM by Paul Uhland » Logged

Paul Uhland
Mike Fox
Museum Member
Superintendent

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 03:28:34 AM »

Monday saw a few of is at the museum today. I focused on Rowmow 1, wanting to get that out and mowing. Made it as far as Maine Locomotive and Machine before I broke a clamp. No spares handy. Have plenty now. Done for the day. So the East side is mowed for about 3/4 of a mile, for those unfamiliar.

Ed cleaned Bay 2 after some car switching with Brendan and Fred.

Steve P was busy working on something for visitor experience that was way too wordy for me to understand.

Jason was trying to work with the flanger, not sure on what.

Brendan was setting up to load 52 up and haul to MNGRR for a one day use on July 4 when I left. They are expecting heavy crowds for the 4th, and needed additional motive power.

Mike
Stephen Piwowarski
Museum Member
Fireman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 05:25:45 PM »

Steve P was busy working on something for visitor experience that was way too wordy for me to understand.

I think we've got it figured out now Mike, at least in part. You are right that it was way too wordy! Jason and I started to pull it apart and look at the core elements of what we were after. What I am working on now is very straightforward and aims to be helpful for all. I won't let the cat out of the bag just yet, but I'll be presenting the concept to the board at Saturday's board meeting using less words.  Grin
James Patten
Wearer of Too Many Hats
Global Moderator
Trainmaster

Loco for 6

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 01:25:02 AM »

Today's Wednesday, isn't it?  First day back at work after a 2.5 week vacation, felt like a Monday.

Anticipated work for weekend of July 8:

* Ice Cream Social Saturday, afternoon trains.  Rain date is Sunday.
* Boxcar 67
* Mainline extension on The Mountain
* Mowing ROW
* Bay 2 clean out
* Board meeting on Saturday at 4 PM.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: