Author Topic: Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes Railroad narrow gauge (photos)  (Read 10773 times)

Matthew Malkiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
    • Lost Tracks of Time
Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes Railroad narrow gauge (photos)
« on: March 07, 2017, 04:13:07 AM »
The Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes Railroad (SR&RL) was a narrow gauge railroad that negotiated approximately 112 miles of track in Maine between the years of 1908 to 1935. This railroad was the longest of the five two-foot railways that once serviced the state. A scrap metal firm purchased the railroad at auction in May and operations ended July 2, 1935. The remaining rails were lifted in 1936. The SR&RL continues to run in the present day on a revived short segment of the original railway in Phillips. Last season the railroad was pleased to announce the return of steam to Phillips; Monson #3 served as the primary steam locomotive power.

On January 16th I ventured to Phillips for a day trip of exploring and photography, the link to my photographs is below.

Stripping away color enhances the patterns, textures, shapes, tones, geometry, and shadows in these images – which helps to highlight the minimalism created by the snow covered tracks, and the mystery that something is left to be grasped and understood. Negative intrigue draws the viewer in; even though the compositions feature the hidden right-of-way. The mind's eye is forced to fill in the rest of the story...

http://www.losttracksoftime.com/p298349531

Enjoy,
Matthew

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes Railroad narrow gauge (photos)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 09:49:57 AM »
Matt;
Nice photos. The black and white certainly does evoke another era! One of these days I'll have to venture up there. I just don't seem to be able to get beyond Alna.
Dave

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 02:02:55 PM »
Nice photo essay Matthew.  Good to know what things look like when there is snow cover, scenes that few get to see.

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 02:46:14 PM »
Very nice pictures Matthew. I have been to the Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes museum several times but never in winter. You have done a wonderful job of capturing the stark beauty of the museum blanketed in a deep layer of snow. Wonderful presentation.
Duncan

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 06:55:09 PM »
I especially like photo number 24 showing the alignment of the P&R covered bridge. It's a photo I've long wanted to take myself, but you really have to be there in winter to see it.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 12:25:15 PM »
Fall is a good time too. You can still see some of the large stones from the center pier scattered downstream
Mike
Doing way too much to list...