Author Topic: Coach 8 - Official Work Thread  (Read 49202 times)

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Coach 8 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2017, 07:41:10 AM »
After looking at the photo's on page 2, it looks like the bench seat needs to be cut back some more to make room of a wheelchair to be parked with a "window view".

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2017, 08:18:12 AM »
Perhaps we can either put some sort of gate up, like on the caboose, or leave the existing window and travel with the door closed and the handicapped person can park beside the, then unblocked, window near the end of the coach.

Bill
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2017, 10:39:41 AM »
Bill, normally there are a set of vertical wood slats inside the baggage area into which the door slides. These slats probably kept the baggage person from stacking or leaning items such that the door could not open. In any case, they would block the view out the window.
I believe our caboose has similar sets of vertical slats as well, if you need a reference. I can send a photo or two on Mobday when I'm back at my computer.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2017, 12:45:24 PM »
I believe Bill was referring to the gates across the open door to keep people from falling out. I would prefer any gate for the car to be built of steel so it can be painted and match the car.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2017, 05:02:02 PM »
An iron gate would be nice, especially if it looked the part. Problem would be what to do with the gate while not in use, and how heavy would it be to handle if it was removable.

As far as seating, there was talk of making the bench to the left of the door removable. This will enable us to have capacity when needed, and the flexibility to handle our mobility challenged guests at almost the drop of a hat. Time for that modification was running short.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 05:04:10 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2017, 09:37:13 PM »
Mike, Dave,

Thanks for the updates.  I guess we will all see how it is coming along in two weeks.

Bill

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2017, 09:58:39 PM »
There are recent photos on fb.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2017, 08:53:28 AM »
I see a couple of possibilities for a gate. One would be something custom-fabricated by a shop that makes porch railings, for example. Another would be something like a frame with heavy woven wire screening in the center. Either type could be attached to brackets screwed to the door posts outside the door itself, and could be left in place but easily lifted off the brackets as necessary.

Inside the car, to protect the door when open, a "crate" could be built using 1 x 4 or 1 x 6 vertical boards from floor to ceiling, spaced two or three inches apart to allow some light from the window to enter the car.

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2017, 05:54:19 PM »
Coach 8 pictures taken today. It's tough to get a good picture of the door opening with the car inside the shop.

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2017, 11:01:33 PM »

Inside the car, to protect the door when open, a "crate" could be built using 1 x 4 or 1 x 6 vertical boards from floor to ceiling, spaced two or three inches apart to allow some light from the window to enter the car.

I like Wayne's crate idea with the following modification, frame an opening in the "crate" to match the window so one can still see out of it.

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2017, 07:18:34 AM »
Bill, the following are some photos of the baggage section of the SR&RL combine in Portland.  These are the slats to keep parcels and boxes from jamming against the door.  Also included is what the door from the passenger to the freight section of the combine looks like:

See you in a couple of weeks.

Dave Crow

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2017, 09:58:26 AM »
We have the same type of antique door rollers for combine #8.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2017, 06:59:51 PM »
Go with what has been done before.  Block out the window and don't worry about seeing through the crate...

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2017, 07:58:12 PM »
The crate idea gives opportunity for a hand injury. That was designed to keep luggage and parcels out of the travel way of the door. For the safety of our patrons and our volunteers, either leave the door exposed or make it open in a pocket.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2017, 08:14:56 PM »
Every baggage car I was ever in had some sort of latch to keep the door open, so it wasn't sliding back and forth with the motion of the train. That should protect anyone from pinched fingers. Also, as I noted above, if the opening between the slats is two inches, it would be hard to insert fingers. Or put hardware cloth inside the crate.