Author Topic: February 2017 Work Planning  (Read 7627 times)

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
Re: February 2017 Work Planning
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2017, 09:43:53 PM »
Work done Saturday, Feb. 18th, 2017 -  A very productive day.

* Train Show - The Away Team worked the Lions Club show in Augusta, James may have a report.

* Campus - Much work done with machines, the plow truck, bulldozer, tractor and excavator all got worked moving snow.  Most of the work was leading to and around the site where the storage container will be placed west of the woods track.  Mike and Fred put in many hours clearing the site which included moving a tie pile and then moving earth material in to be leveled for the pad. Another crew shoveled parts of the woods track to move Big Joe and the smaller cars out of the way so a path could be made for the container delivery truck.

* Boxcar #67 - Zack installed the first belt rails and Jay worked on the wooden truck parts.

* Archives - Linda worked on identifying photos, some from the early days of the museum.

* Kitchen - A dozen volunteers enjoyed a nice lasagna lunch while Fred entertained with stories of telephone company operations years ago.

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2017, 11:18:32 PM »
Train show report: John R, Marcel and myself manned the table.  Attendance was fairly decent, at least 3000 people.  We took in a little under $300, including a membership.  SR&RL was next door to us, 470 Club was on the other side, and B&ML was further down our row.  The show has lots of vendors with old metal Lionel and other gauge model trains.

I did not buy anything.

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2017, 11:20:44 PM »

I did not buy anything.
That's no fun!

Keith

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2017, 12:02:16 AM »
Fred and I moved quite a bit of dirt today. Still more to do next weekend if the weather stays good.

I back bladed the area at the end of the day in case it freezes up.

Zack has requested that the large Pine tree be cut down before the container is set, along with the two Fir trees on the right, leaving the Hemlock that is on the far right to help hide the container from the railroad. The front will be even with the pine tree, doors facing the tracks.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 12:06:03 AM by Mike Fox »
Mike
Membership Secretary, Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc. CMO of off rail equipment

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2017, 01:22:23 AM »
Zack has requested that the large Pine tree be cut down before the container is set

There's going to be a lot of usable lumber in that big pine. I would expect the tree is well over 100 years old.

I like the idea of the storage container. It should help to control the clutter a little bit, and also provide some security for smaller items that might otherwise "walk away".

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2017, 02:00:28 AM »
I am pleased to know the container is coming. With some planning, it will be very useful. I'm sorry it's going to be so far away from everything. It will be difficult to convince folks of its usefulness. Too bad it couldn't go next to the garage. If its appearance is an issue, build a section of plank fence or plant some forsythia bushes to screen it.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2017, 03:15:21 AM »
The container will or should I say be used for long term storage. Someplace to organize and store the items we don't want to part with. We have all of these wonderfull old tools and old parts that we can reuse at some point. But we can not move without tripping over the stuff.

I chose the location to keep the container in a spot it won't have to be moved should it be decided we need to add on to the garage (which has been planned before it was even finished) or add parking. It may be inconvenient to get to now, but I think we will appreciate it later.
Mike
Membership Secretary, Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc. CMO of off rail equipment

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2017, 02:20:29 PM »
Understood. Nevertheless.....

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2017, 02:40:32 PM »
I think the woods track is going to be moved a little closer to the box and maybe a couple of loads of gravel would make a little road to it. All in due time.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2017, 10:42:00 PM »

* Kitchen - A dozen volunteers enjoyed a nice lasagna lunch while Fred entertained with stories of telephone company operations years ago.

I would loved to have heard those stories.

Jeff S.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2017, 02:57:01 AM »
I bet a few gallons of dark green paint could help the container "disappear".
Is the container 20 or 40 feet long?
2926 has used a half-dozen 40s, are fine for secure shop work, loco parts storage, tool organization/storage.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:25:11 PM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2017, 10:49:47 AM »
40 foot, doors on one end. Doors on both ends almost doubles the price. Delivered and set for a decent price, and actually only $400 more than a 20 foot container.
Mike

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2017, 11:38:49 PM »
Those rugged containers are piled up to eight high on ships rolling and pitching through rough ocean storms, are tough to burglarize. 
A padlock securing the doors  has a small steel box around it, bolt cutters can't reach it.
Corrugated steel walls would take a cutting torch to get in. So far, afaik, nobody has gotten into 2926's,
Did not know some containers  have doors at both ends.
Paul Uhland

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2017, 01:46:07 AM »
There is a big market on "similar looking" Shipping (storage) Containers.  They can be bought as a kit which includes the base frame, the long walls, either an end wall, or a door wall (or two) and a roof.  The floor is 2 x 8's decked over the frame.  Unlike a "shipping container" these "storage containers" can only be moved when empty, and though they look like it, they cannot be stacked.  The companies that 'rent' storage containers have found it cheaper to make their own from kits than to buy used (usually rusted) or new containers.  I vaguely remember that they were not welded together, but bolted together within the inside.

Tomorrow I will try and find a contact for where my former employer obtained them.

Bill

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2017, 02:58:01 AM »
I've seen two storage conntainers placed about 12' apart (side by side) with a roof built over the containers and the space in between.  With a wall across the back and doors on the front it makes a fairly nice building.  I don't think this idea has been discussed but it could happen at some point years from now.   That's why it's good that the container is going west of the Woods Track, allows room for expansion.