W.W.&F. Discussion Forum
May 24, 2017, 01:17:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Notice: Head North young man.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: February 2017 Work Planning  (Read 6002 times)
Benjamin Campbell
Switchman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2017, 03:12:44 PM »

In flipping through the book I’m pretty sure that weathered flanger signs are visible in multiple photographs. In many cases it is tough to tell definitively as the dot matrix of the printing process does not show small and distant objects with much clarity. I would love to see the original image of Weeks Mills. The sign in question appears to have two light colored circles on a dark background mounted to several inches of thin rod or pipe of the same color which in turn is mounted to a wood post. If true, I would have to conclude that it is a railroad sign. The use of two dots for flanger signs was common if not universal among New England railroads and possibly beyond. Hard to imagine that a trackside civilian sign would share the same motif.

I would also love to know how and why a switch lamp came to be used at Weeks Mills? I imagine that it was originally used there on account of the two lines diverging?
James Patten
Wearer of Too Many Hats
Global Moderator
Trainmaster

Loco for 6

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2017, 11:43:43 PM »

Work done on Saturday Feb 11:

* Snow plow: The snow plow came off Friday after an issue, then was repaired and re-installed today.  It was not needed to plow, even though there was snow falling (usually lightly) all day.
* Boxcar 67: Zack, Fred and I were cutting down some oak for belt rails when the motor burned out on the saw.  Zack finished it on another saw.  Belt rails are getting ready to install, but needs to be notched.  Meanwhile Jay worked on truck parts.
* Photo trains: Mass Bay RRE showed up for some photo trains.  Due to the snow they arrived late.  Two trains, one pulled by 9 and the other 3.  There was a photo line at Alna Center, we then returned to Sheepscot where engines watered and then we headed back out - 9 to ToM and 3 to AC.  #3 got stuck on the crossing at AC, so after some chipping and sanding they got free.  On the way back after photos #3 got stuck on the Jayne's Way crossing, and was helped out by #9 coming up behind and pushing the train out. 
Jeff Schumaker
Museum Member
Brakeman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2017, 12:54:14 AM »

Any photos of #9 pushing #3 free?

Jeff S.
James Patten
Wearer of Too Many Hats
Global Moderator
Trainmaster

Loco for 6

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2017, 01:15:04 AM »

Jason is the only one who got any pictures.  "This is one for the ages!" I heard him say.  Everyone else was aboard the train.
Joe Fox
Museum Member
Fireman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2017, 06:31:17 AM »

Hey, we have proof of #52 rescuing 10 one Christmas because we couldn't push the train down hill, due to to much drag, and snow on the rails.
Philip Marshall
Museum Member
Fireman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2017, 09:10:55 AM »

I took a quick look through Two Feet to Tidewater in search of flanger signs. On page 168 there is a photo of Weeks Mills and in the distant left there may be a flanger sign with a dark background and two light colored circles. It would be nice to see the original photo for more clarity.

I think you're absolutely correct that that's a flanger sign in the Weeks Mills photo. The design appears almost identical to the ones on the SR&RL but with the colors reversed: white dots on a black board instead of black dots on a white board. (See photo of the SR&RL type attached.)

* FlangerSign_SR&RLPerhamJunction.jpg (23.13 KB, 271x250 - viewed 99 times.)
John Kokas
Museum Member
Engineer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2017, 12:59:48 PM »

Looks like another sign making project in the works.  Only have to decide whether its a black or white background.  Something someone could do during the spring work weekend;  I'd be happy to do if I don't have to work - retirement, can't come soon enough!
Stewart "Start" Rhine
Museum Member
Trainmaster

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2017, 01:00:21 PM »

Work done on Sunday, Feb. 12th -  (The shop crew put in extra time before the storm hit.)

* Motive power - Jason and Brendan moved #9 and #3 outside with #52.  Engine #9 was checked over, drained and cleaned. #3's tank was drained as well.  The work took most of the morning. The machine shop was cleaned up a bit while the bay was open.  Both locomotives were brought back inside and will rest in the machine shop until Spring.

* Campus - Brendan pushed the growing snow banks back to make room for the 2+ feet of snow that started Sunday afternoon and is still falling today.  Extra fuel was purchased for the dozer and Dodge plow truck.  

* Storm - Some trash was collected while it was easy to get between buildings.  The trash crew hopes to make the regular dump run on Tuesday.  Much snow clearing will be needed on the driveway and the section of parking lot near the house with work starting today.  With snow continuing through Monday afternoon and high winds, plowing will extend well into Tuesday.
James Patten
Wearer of Too Many Hats
Global Moderator
Trainmaster

Loco for 6

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2017, 10:26:49 PM »

Two feet of snow at my house, 5 miles from Sheepscot.  The snow is up to my knees where it had previously been cleared (walkway, driveway) and up to my waist where there was snow from before (my yard).

Sheepscot plow crews are going to have grand old time of it tomorrow.  Glad that we had those photo events already.
Stewart "Start" Rhine
Museum Member
Trainmaster

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2017, 10:37:42 PM »

The Monday crew (Brendan worked the most) spent hours plowing and shoveling the driveway and parking lot.  It's hard to say how much snow fell in Alna due to the high wind gusts that kept blowing everything around but it was probably about 20".  Towards sunset the truck and bull dozer were both at it and most of the regular driveway and parking area is all set. The WW&F can be open for business when the weekday regulars to show up on Tuesday. 
Steve Smith
Museum Member
Fireman

Life Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2017, 01:33:53 AM »

Bravo snow crew!

Stewart, your post led me to open Two  Feet to Tidewater to pages 150 & 151 and read again about the terrible time WW&F crews had fighting the blizzards in 1920.
Ira Schreiber
Museum Member
Dispatcher

Life Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2017, 03:54:29 AM »

Does Two Feet to Tidewater represent the snow depth?
Stewart "Start" Rhine
Museum Member
Trainmaster

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2017, 12:58:58 PM »

Does Two Feet to Tidewater represent the snow depth?

Just about ... but there's another storm coming so the total snow in the woods will be much more.  This means that the tree clearing at Tom is on hold for now.  Sorry Fred!
James Patten
Wearer of Too Many Hats
Global Moderator
Trainmaster

Loco for 6

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2017, 12:05:35 PM »

Anticipated work for Saturday, Feb 18

This is the start of Winter Work Weekend, if anyone is planning on it.

* Train show: The Whitefield Lions Club has a train & dollhouse show at the Augusta (ME) Armory Saturday 10 -3.  Manned by John R, myself, and usually Marcel.
* Boxcar 67: trucks, rails, siding.
* Equipment carrier 1015
* Snow moving (although I suspect the railroad is shut down until we have much less snow on the ground)
Brendan Barry
Museum Member
Engineer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2017, 06:22:57 PM »

52 is out of service for maintenance so no plowing to worry about.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: