W.W.&F. Discussion Forum
July 25, 2017, 11:45:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Notice: Car 67, where are you?

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Edaville #11 to attend Big E Train Show 1/28-29/2017  (Read 3494 times)
Mike St. Louis
Hobo

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2017, 12:00:42 AM »

From: http://www.amherstrail.org/ARS/news-BoothbaySteam.php

For 2017, the Boothbay Railway Village will be bringing a live steam engine to the Railroad Hobby Show.

The locomotive was built by the H K Porter Company in Pittsburgh in 1925 for the Raritan Copper Company in New Jersey. H K Porter specialized in industrial locomotives, and the Boothbay locomotive was one of eleven owned by Raritan Copper.

The 2-foot gauge engine will be set up outdoors at the Railroad Hobby Show, operating on approximately 100 feet of track under its own steam power.   Boothbay Railway Village operates a fully certified boiler shop and completed restoration of the H K Porter locomotive in 2014.

James Patten
Wearer of Too Many Hats
Global Moderator
Trainmaster

Loco for 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 01:46:43 AM »

I saw this announcement and thought that they had meant that their Baldwin paper company engine was going.  This makes sense.

I'm guessing this is a first for live "real" steam at the show.
Philip Marshall
Museum Member
Fireman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 03:11:31 AM »

I read elsewhere that the Mount Washington Cog Railway is sending 'Old Peppersass' to the show as well, which is truly remarkable.
Mike Fox
Museum Member
Superintendent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 12:02:42 AM »

Peppersass was on a trailer last time I was at The Cog

Mike
Membership Secretary, Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc. CMO of off rail equipment
Richard "Steam" Symmes
Museum Member
Fireman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 11:00:43 PM »

After almost completely dieselizing the Cog Rwy, I'm surprised "Old Peppersas" hasn't been cut up or turned into a big coffee maker!  I'm glad they are bringing it to the show, but the railway itself has been ruined for me and many others.
   Richard Symmes
Philip Marshall
Museum Member
Fireman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 11:43:58 PM »

I wonder if this is an attempt by the Cog to reach out and make amends to the railfan community.
Jason M Lamontagne
Operating Volunteers
Conductor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 02:13:58 PM »

As I understand it, the Cog is maintaining two steam locomotives and still runs at least one steam trip per day.  Credit to them for keeping that much alive.

Jason
Bob Holmes
Museum Member
Switchman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 03:41:37 PM »

Yes, the first train each day.  You want to make reservations in advance as it fills up quickly.  When I was there last fall, people were walking up for tickets and were disappointed they couldn't get the steam train.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: