Author Topic: World War II era color photographs  (Read 779 times)

Roger Cole

• Switchman
    • View Profile
World War II era color photographs
« on: November 18, 2016, 12:12:00 AM »
Found a neat web site with incredibly detailed color photos from the WW II era.  Most were taken on 4 X 5 Kodachrome by a professional photographer.  Some show railroad activities.  Kodachrome is amazing--these photos look like they were taken yesterday.  Most of my early rail photos from the 60s & 70s were taken with Kodachrome and they still look great

http://fullym.com/shot-70-years-ago-but-these-wwii-photos-could-have-come-fresh-off-a-hollywood-set/?utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=ww2_slideshow_hollywood&utm_medium=sponsored_post&utm_term=women_riveter&utm_content=oneimage

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: World War II era color photographs
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 08:35:04 PM »
Amazing pics, particularly at the steam backshop in Abq, ATSF's biggest, presently subject to hoped-for tourist/retail/museum redevelopment. 
Handled a similar drawbar with a forklift at 2926's soon-done rebuild. VERY heavy.
Those "Rosies" definitely helped win the war.
Paul Uhland

Greg Klein

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 01:44:15 PM »
Fantastic colors!  I guess Paul Simon was right.  Seeing the photo of the soldier at Fort Knox and his M1 Garrand reminded me of my father telling me about getting warned against fabled "M1 tumb" during basic training.  Also the shot of the rail yard in Chicago was great, seeing all the foot prints in the snow of the workers making their way around, clearing all the switch points.  I'm glad photos like this exist.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 01:52:34 PM by Greg Klein »

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 04:53:58 PM »
"Kodachrome............."!
Paul Uhland