W.W.&F. Discussion Forum
May 25, 2017, 05:20:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Notice: Work Planning: May.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Down the Mountain to Trout Brook - Official Work Thread  (Read 3850 times)
James Patten
Wearer of Too Many Hats
Global Moderator
Trainmaster

Loco for 6

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 05:04:00 PM »

I'll expand on Ed's comment by stating that this year's Annual Fund Drive financed the match for the Emery grant.  The first $5000 that came in was set aside as the match.  I never got that list to John to publish in the newsletter, but it did go to the Trust.  This is the first time we've done this with the fund drive, use it to match a grant.
Jeff Schumaker
Museum Member
Brakeman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 07:51:34 PM »

Just getting caught up on this thread. Let me echo the thanks to Mike for getting through the governmental red tape. Question to James, do you see using the Annual Fund Drive to match future grants?

Jeff S.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum
Administrator
Supervisor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 08:35:45 PM »

I'll take that question...
We already leverage the success of the fund drive in all of our grant applications. Usually there is a question that boils down to "how are you going to raise the remaining funds to complete the project?" Our answer is almost always "through our highly successful Fall Fundraiser." So, in a sense, there has always been a "match" through the Fall Fundraiser for most of our grants.

That said, the ERHT grant was unique in that their funds could not be released until the match was raised, and that the funds to be matched had to come as part of a new effort. (In other words, we could not leverage funds already raised for the project, nor use their grant to pay off loans related to the project - such as the rail purchase.) The trustees of ERHT agreed that doing the match through our Fall Fundraiser met their requirements, and we thank them for their flexibility and generosity.

That said, I have some exciting news to share in regards to another grant proposal for a different WW&F project. Stay tuned...

Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum
Mike Fox
Museum Member
Superintendent

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2017, 01:00:07 PM »

Got word from the pipe company this week that our pipes are ready for delivery. I will set a date in a couple of weeks when I know the arrival will timed correctly as to not interfere with 3 leaving

Mike
Membership Secretary, Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc. CMO of off rail equipment
Mike Fox
Museum Member
Superintendent

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2017, 09:47:54 PM »

Friday, Jason and I met with the DEP. The rep for our area and a fairly new rep for DEP. She was in training, or at least he was showing her what to look for.

We started at the Fossel washout. They determined that was a stream, so a Permit by Rule applied. This is their lowest permit, and easiest to get.

We continued to the next two locations I had identified for this years work. Nothing to be concerned with at either location, except that we have to keep track of the square footage of the wetland area we disturb at both locations. Minimal. We are allowed 4300 sq ft. Above that, we will need to apply for through a bigger permit.
Next we walked to the slide. I am amazed that neither the Army Corps or the DEP are concerned about that. No permit required. We just need to be mindfull of runoff, and control erosion.
We proceded North. Yet another spot I identified as wanting a small cross culvert. Same as before. Keep track of the square footage of wetland.

Next, we arrived at a pinch point, as Jason calls it. This is a location of a slide that happened after the railroad shut down, but before it was logged in the 50's 60's. The roadbed slid into the brook. We want to do minimal work here but due to the location, we need to have a larger permit. It will be scrutinized more by the DEP, and we will have a lot more prep in the permit apllication itself.

Once past this pinch point, we were back to permit by rule culvert installation.

We were in for another surprise as we worked our way to the bridge. The ditch on the East side is classified as a stream. We are within 25 feet of that "stream" for approximately 500 feet. This also meets the criteria for the larger permit.

We then arrived at the bridge site. A brief review of what Army Corps had said and then we listened to Lucien, the DEP rep. "Permit by Rule" he said, for the bridge crossing. Jason almost sighed audibly. What a relief.

So after our arrival back at the house (DEP headed back to their office) Jason and I started brain storming. And we are still talking about ideas. Jason has locked onto an idea he wants to check into more that may be the best, simplest, and most cost effective way of ensuring we reach 218.

I am glad we had this walk and talk. It was very informative, and we learned a lot. Now to get things going for our first permit needed for this year.

Mike
Membership Secretary, Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc. CMO of off rail equipment
Bill Reidy
Museum Member
Fireman

Life member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2017, 12:42:06 AM »

Many thanks, Mike, for your perseverance and hard work on this.  And thank you, too, Jason, for all your work as well.

This is a big deal.  Through Mike's initiative, we now have a clear, manageable regulatory path to follow to allow expansion of the railroad down the mountain.  Most organizations would have had to hire professional services to navigate the state and federal regulatory maze, at considerable cost.  We're very fortunate Mike and Jason chose to take this on.

This is a critical step for our museum's continued growth.
Mike Fox
Museum Member
Superintendent

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2017, 01:30:31 AM »

We will be lookng for additional help when the time comes with the larger permit to help with the application process.

Mike
Stephen Piwowarski
Museum Member
Hostler

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2017, 03:57:19 AM »

Great news and glad we have chosen to do it by the book and get the proper parties involved. Looking forward to the fruit it bears.
People have told me I'm pretty good at paperwork, proofreading and writing, so I'd be happy to help in any way I can.
Steve
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:05:54 PM by Stephen Piwowarski » Logged
Bill Reidy
Museum Member
Fireman

Life member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2017, 02:05:25 PM »

If I can be a help on the paperwork, please count me in as well.
Jeff Schumaker
Museum Member
Brakeman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2017, 02:50:23 PM »

It sounds like it was a very productive meeting with the DEP.

Jeff S.
Ira Schreiber
Museum Member
Dispatcher

Life Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2017, 03:41:19 PM »

Great results on what could have been a long and arduous path.
I am very encouraged by what has been accomplished to date and my thanks for all the work.
Onward to 218.
John Kokas
Museum Member
Engineer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2017, 04:00:37 PM »

Nice job guys!  I think the biggest break we got was the "by rule" decision on the bridge.  That could have been a real pain in the .......!  Also, the slide we got off easy.  Still say a bulkhead with sheet piling and deadmen will be the best and easiest way to go.  We have a lot of contractors in the area that can do marine bulkheads - really not any different except no ocean.
Mike Fox
Museum Member
Superintendent

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 02:26:42 AM »

I was asked, so here is the map of Section 1. This will be the only section I show for now, because we are focusing on this area this year, and we have a set plan. I need to go for a walk again Saturday and get pictures of every location we have identified in need of repair.

Location 1. Fossel Washout. 48" Steel Culvert, 45 feet long. About 150 yards of fill.

Location 2. 18 inch culvert. Fill in washed out section of ROW. About 20 yards.

Location 3. 12 Inch cross culvert. About 100 feet south of the slide. Will need to RipRap the outlet down the steep bank to prevent erosion in the future.

Mike
Jeff Schumaker
Museum Member
Brakeman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 03:19:20 PM »

Mike,

Any estimated timeframe as to when each location will be worked on?

Jeff S.
Mike Fox
Museum Member
Superintendent

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2017, 05:01:57 PM »

This year. We can't start until mid July. All pipe work and ditching needs to be done by Oct. 1.

Mike
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: