Author Topic: October 2016 Work Planning  (Read 12653 times)

Charlie Lacasse

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
Re: October 2016 Work Planning
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2016, 06:34:49 AM »
Its really awesome to see how much work has been accomplished just since the work weekend. I'm with you guys in spirit, since L.L. Bean is now in its busy season and I'm stuck working lots of overtime to keep up with the demand of the iconic bean boot. I can't wait to be able to return to the museum and help out with some of these awesome projects!!!

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2016, 09:16:52 AM »
The siding will get those first, but I don't think there are enough for the amount of rail on the small flat. We'll put them somewhere where they can easily be picked up if needed. At least they have been cut and are ready for anywhere we want them. I do worry about putting lots of ties on such an unbalanced load of rail. All I can say is good luck!

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2016, 10:23:01 AM »
There aren't enough of the odd ball ones, but will be nice to get them used up. I am hoping the ground up there isn't too tacky, but I think it will be. There are some plywood pieces in the east ditch near the south run around switch if someone wants or needs to build a walkway.
Mike
Membership Secretary, Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc. CMO of off rail equipment

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2016, 10:45:16 AM »
I was hopeing to put the plywood out today.

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2016, 11:03:22 AM »
Anticipated work for Saturday October 29:

* Sawmill Siding: Dana wants to start building that.
* Boxcar 67
* Passenger trains: today is the last scheduled passenger day of the season.  I believe we've broken records this year!

Saturday is the start of deer hunting season in Maine, so wear your blaze orange.  The Alna VFD is having their hunter's breakfast Saturday morning 4 - 9:30, for anyone interested in supporting them.  Good breakfast!

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2016, 02:49:41 PM »
Ties were laid out this morning for the mill siding.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2016, 07:14:38 PM »
What a great looking switch in that first picture.

Admittedly an biased comment, since it is the first one I ever built (with the help of a bunch of WW&F loving friends).

Bill Baskerville

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2016, 08:24:08 PM »
I think that whole area up there is great, since we did everything ourselves. Including all the tree removal, stump removal, surveying and grading.
Mike
Membership Secretary, Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc. CMO of off rail equipment

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2016, 09:00:15 PM »
Mike, It looks great thanks to you. It will get even better when we do more clearing this winter, be nice to see the lay of the land west/northwest of what is cleared now.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2016, 10:47:59 PM »
Not me. Us. We did it. And we continue to do it. Yes, we can clear off more of the plateau, I just hope there is enough time to stump it next summer.
Mike

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2016, 12:28:22 AM »
How much chair factory rail or other 60 lb rail do we have on hand? I think its best to save the 1.5 miles for main line and use other rail for less used tracks, like the woods parking lot track or ToM siding.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2016, 02:22:06 AM »
I'm planning to be there this Saturday, just not at 7:00 am...

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2016, 03:53:51 AM »
In my earlier post, I neglected two important and critical parts of the new switch.  A volunteer donated the funds for the frog and points, which were purchased, and Jason provided a two page "switch installation guide" for dummies with me being the switch installer dummy.

Of course each of the four days we had three or four volunteers who provided all the man/woman power to keep the project moving.  This also included several volunteers in the shop who provided machining skills when we needed parts fabricated.

Like Mike said earlier, it takes a team.  We are fortunate to have such great team members.

Bill

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2016, 04:24:34 PM »
It looks like we will have a weather window on Saturday so I say we go for it and get the siding started.  See you in the morning.  Bring your boots and rain gear!

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2016, 05:29:59 PM »
Dana;
Bill and I will be there about 7:40 though I'm not a big fan of cold and wet conditions.
Dave