Author Topic: Franklin St?  (Read 19316 times)

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Franklin St?
« on: August 04, 2008, 02:35:09 PM »
What's the word on the RR getting back to Franklin Street? Is the developer that won the bid the more "NG Friendly" one?
Word from the museum (except for the B&SR flanger) has been pretty scarce lately.

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Franklin St?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 02:14:07 PM »
Unfortunately, the winning bidder is the less friendly one. The loser had us drawn on their plan, the winner didn't. We have been in discussion with the developer and the city. Both point to each other. My sense is that neither one wants us there. Typical Portland, they have done us absolutely no favors down there. Our MDOT ROW only goes to India Street which is one block short of Franklin.

Our kiosk is still at Franklin Street. It is cruise ship season and that can really add to our rideship IF people know that we exist. Having Ocean Gateway finished is a help but is not good enough. Frankin Street gives us the exposure we need.

Our second siding was completed last month and is in service. This means we are finally back to head end operations in both directions after a few years of push pull.

Tie replacement is in full swing thanks to a loaner back hoe. This machine is the closest thing to a two foot tie extractor that there is. We are doing this on a 'safe ending' basis meaning that we are replacing approximately 1 in every 4 ties with new 5 footers starting in the worst places. As we all know, you gotta have good wood before you can do anything else.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
I saw a piece on the news last week sometime where some cruise ship visitors had found MNGRR. #4 was shown briefly. There must be a "things to do while in Portland" list they pass around when coming into port. I was glad to see that on the news.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 12:29:43 PM »
As of yesterday's news it appears that the City of Portland has agreed to cease negotiations with Olympia Cos. There is issue as to owns the land under the Maine State Pier. If ever resolved, it will necessitate a rebid or letting the other developer develop the property. Regardless, this is a setback in time but could possibly be good for MNGR if Ocean Properties chooses to re enter this situation.

Our ticket booth still stands in front of the Maine State Pier as a symbol that we are still in business.

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 05:45:46 PM »
Unfortunately, the winning bidder is the less friendly one. The loser had us drawn on their plan, the winner didn't. We have been in discussion with the developer and the city. Both point to each other. My sense is that neither one wants us there. Typical Portland, they have done us absolutely no favors down there. Our MDOT ROW only goes to India Street which is one block short of Franklin.

Our kiosk is still at Franklin Street. It is cruise ship season and that can really add to our rideship IF people know that we exist. Having Ocean Gateway finished is a help but is not good enough. Frankin Street gives us the exposure we need.

Our second siding was completed last month and is in service. This means we are finally back to head end operations in both directions after a few years of push pull.

Tie replacement is in full swing thanks to a loaner back hoe. This machine is the closest thing to a two foot tie extractor that there is. We are doing this on a 'safe ending' basis meaning that we are replacing approximately 1 in every 4 ties with new 5 footers starting in the worst places. As we all know, you gotta have good wood before you can do anything else.
So do you mean that you can soon do A gull round trip without stoping to the push pull stuff? Plus is there a map of the museums railroad and Yard? :o :o :( :( :-\ :-X 8) 8)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 11:32:16 PM by Matthew Gustafson »
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Mike the Choochoo Nix

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 04:29:50 PM »
Hi Matt,
 What they mean is that there is a passing siding at both ends of their track so they can run the locomotive around and run it at the head of the train both ways. They have a nice ride along the water front and the best part is that a public biking and walking path runs alongside the railroad most of the way. I hope you get a chance to go there some time, there is also a lot of other neat stuff to see in Maine besides the trains.

Mike Nix
Mike Nix

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 07:12:51 PM »
Hi Matt,
 What they mean is that there is a passing siding at both ends of their track so they can run the locomotive around and run it at the head of the train both ways. They have a nice ride along the water front and the best part is that a public biking and walking path runs alongside the railroad most of the way. I hope you get a chance to go there some time, there is also a lot of other neat stuff to see in Maine besides the trains.

Mike Nix
Well Once I get some Plane Tickets! I will Check it out!  8) 8)

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 07:17:46 PM »
But Many Thing Why I Like The Maine 2 Footers are for 3 Reasons!
1=The History of The Railroads!
2=The Engines and Rolling Stock!
3=The Preservation Of these Historical Railroads Of Great Volunteer Work! :) :D ;D

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 12:12:13 PM »
This past Monday, the City Council at its workshop on the Maine State Pier discussed options for getting this project back underway. Having Olympia Companies back out of the deal is good for MNGR. It now appears that the city council may vote to give the project to Ocean Properties. This is the developer that MNGR wants as they are friendly to us and have us on their plans. Let's hope that plan turns into reality and we can finally get back to Franklin Street and recapture the cruise ship market.

First, the council votes in January. Let's hope they do the right thing. If that happens, then we work with them on the plans. Single track is OK but a run around between Hancock and Franklin would give us a safer operating scenario.

The other piece of the puzzle is that we still need to have a crossing installed at Franklin Street along with 300 feet of track between Franklin and India Streets. This is all on state ROW so we'll have to see how that would get funded. Don't think the Maine State Pier would put up the cost to do that.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 02:46:30 PM »
Any chance of running track down on the pier itself (a-la White Pass & Yukon)?

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 07:43:08 PM »
You know, I wondered about this myself. Especially since at one time there WERE traks on this pier, albeit std. guage.
It'd be interesting if the tracks did run out on the pier to meet the boats, but that is of course all specualtive. On eBIG concideration is: "Is there enough room to accomidate both RR and auto/truck traffic?"
That being said, I also had a question about the swing bridge.
Is the channel under the bridge still concidered navigable and what would be the largest (height/clearance) vessel to need that channel?
If there's not significant usage, could the swing-span be replaced in the closed position pernmanently?
I know there is a new marina just outside the Back Cove entrance. Would/does this negate the need for a navigable chanel into BC?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 09:16:02 PM »
Now there would be a neat sight. Two rails on the peir, only two feet apart, and boarded in between like the standard gauge was. Just like a board walk. That would be great to see, but a nightmare to get a train on when the ship is in.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 10:02:58 PM »
The train would just have to get there first! :D

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
Hmm....
..see, it may be DOable, but unless the RR actually GOES someplace then what's the point?
Now if the 2' train ran to an AMTRAK/DE connection it might-I'll even say WOULD- be worth putting track on the pier. ;)

Josh Botting

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 06:34:46 PM »
I believe that there are still tracks on the peir.  Crane tracks, just need to shorten up the gauge a bit?