Author Topic: September 2016 Work Planning  (Read 10783 times)

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
Re: September 2016 Work Planning
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2016, 02:45:08 PM »
* Percival House: Zack unhooked and several people removed the clothes washer from the kitchen closet.  The washer doesn't work and will be thrown out.  Meanwhile the dryer does work and will be put on Craigslist.

Any consideration to hooking up a washer/dryer in the basement? I would have appreciated that during a recent stay at the Sheepscot Inn.

If anyone cares, I believe the problem with the washer was that it wouldn't shut off the water once it started filling. I found this out the hard way one night after I started it, went out for supper, and came back to a full washer running over.
I may be that the water shut off solenoid is either jammed or bad and can be replaced easily..
Gawdon

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2016, 03:23:48 PM »
Our appliance man, Jim Stetson said he could easily repair the washer since it's a Maytag and there are parts available.

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2016, 04:57:28 PM »
Let  us not be so hasty to dispose of the washer/dryer. It is both useful and appreciated for those of us from "away"

Phil McCall

« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2016, 08:53:47 PM »
I am fascinated by the rarities Mike found, has anyone positively identified that bracket that looks like it held a coupler pin lever? That piece of rail is small but I recall seeing the Rock Island put one joint bar after another because they couldn't afford rail so possibly it could be installed somewhere it won't see much wear, like the new spur,, as was done with the other piece of found original W&Q rail at the TOM spur?

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2016, 11:03:16 PM »
The bracket that Mike found could be a throw rod guide since it has square holes where it could be spiked to a switch timber.  The previously found plate has the same type of square holes that are spike sized. Usually throw rod guides are for switch stands that are farther back from the track but we don't know why that arrangement would have been used at TOM.   

They could be cut lever brackets but most of the WW&F freight cars had drop bottom couplers and the type of cut lever guide they use has an angled end which the found ones do not.

Terry W. Shirley

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2016, 01:21:01 AM »
My Kenmore washer recently had this problem and it was an easy fix with a new cold water inlet valve.  Did it myself in about 20 minutes.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2016, 01:31:10 AM »
Makes sense Stewart. Both were in the area of the original TOM switch
Mike
Membership Secretary, Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc. CMO of off rail equipment

Phil McCall

« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2016, 02:02:46 AM »
The bracket that Mike found could be a throw rod guide since it has square holes where it could be spiked to a switch timber.  The previously found plate has the same type of square holes that are spike sized. Usually throw rod guides are for switch stands that are farther back from the track but we don't know why that arrangement would have been used at TOM.   

They could be cut lever brackets but most of the WW&F freight cars had drop bottom couplers and the type of cut lever guide they use has an angled end which the found ones do not.

There would have been only one switch at TOM back in the day right? Could there have been a derail with throw rods, I have seen them like that before. Doesn't make sense with such a thrifty operation though, it would be cheaper to let a brakeman walk to throw it if one were there.

Carl Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2016, 04:07:29 AM »
If both holes were the same could be a hinge eye. That that fit a pintle hinge. 
Square hole for a carriage bolt.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2016, 01:12:19 AM »
A decent amount of work was done today, although more track work could have been done if we could have found two small track jacks right away. We used to have 8 small jacks as memory serves correctly, and today we only found 4. We almost used the tall ones, but tie replacement is hard enough without the tall jacks.

2 short jacks are now in the section house, and 2 are in the shop since we found those after we returned from track work. But we still have 4 missing short jacks, maybe more. Any ideas where they have gone to?

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2016, 01:25:52 AM »
There should be a number of them in the car barn.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2016, 01:42:22 AM »
We didn't see any in there. Unless they are on the west wall behind the equipment.

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2016, 10:58:47 AM »
Anticipated work for weekend of Saturday September 24:

* Saturday is the Fall Festival.  We need a number of aides at Alna Center, at Sheepscot, and on the train.
* Turntable
* Boxcar 67

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2016, 10:32:49 PM »
Work done on Saturday September 24:

* Fall Festival: There was a crew at Alna Center and Sheepscot, plus train crew.  AC kept people busy with face painting, hay rides, pumpkin patch, and bluegrass music.  Sheepscot crew provided crowd control.  The 12:30 and 2:30 trains went out pretty full.  Other trains less than full.  We had about 350 people.  Keri made lunch for everyone and even a rather substantial amount of light refreshments.
* Turntable: Brendan was working on the rail around the pivot.  A new volunteer was working on tightening bolts.  Zack threaded some rod.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2016, 11:58:10 PM »
35 volunteers signed the book.