W.W.&F. Discussion Forum
April 25, 2017, 06:39:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Notice: Top 'o the Mountain to ya.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My new post card  (Read 5325 times)
Ted Miles
Museum Member
Baggageman

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2016, 08:15:36 PM »

I just found a post card of a steam dummy type locomotive, that pulled a single car, that ran to Old Orchard Beach at one time.

I would like to know the line's name and if it was a two-foot gauge?

Ted Miles, WW&F Life Member
Philip Marshall
Museum Member
Fireman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 05:00:09 AM »

Hi Ted,

I think you must be referring to the Orchard Beach RR, commonly called "the dummy train". It was chartered in 1876 and ran from Old Orchard Beach to the Saco River at Camp Ellis (3 miles), where it connected with the ferry to Biddeford (which seems like a very roundabout way to go). The line was definitely standard gauge, not two-foot, and later became a branch of the B&M.

-Philip
Paul Levesque
Flagman

Too many interests too little time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 06:27:14 PM »

Hey Ted,

Philip is right.  I worked in OOB for a few years and learned a bit about the town.

First, the last time I was there, about a year ago, you could still the the trestle piers crossing Goosefare Brook on the boundary between OOB and Saco in an area known as Ocean Park.  You can walk up to what is really the last trace of the ROW in OOB off the intersection of Porter and Seaside Ave.

Check out tax maps and in the area of Ocean Ave and West Grand Ave I believe the lot lines follow the former grade.

The line intersected the B&M just after crossing Union street and ran to the station (not where the current station) which was located on First Street between Staples Street and Old Orchard Street.

Seaside Ave was built on the ROW.  The line diverged from the ROW in the area of Oceana and Winona Ave and the sidewalk follows the approximate location.

Reportedly the Ocean Park Station survives as an antique store (again, last time I was there) at Colby and Seaside Ave.

About the 1920's the ROW was bought by a real estate company and developed.

Paul

P. Levesque
Fairfield, ME
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: