Author Topic: Current end of track?  (Read 54457 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Re: Current end of track?
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2008, 04:14:39 PM »
It would be a great advantage to build south (in the future), for the following reasons:
1. Connect with the Rt. 1 summer traffic.
2. Connect with the Maine Eastern RR
3. Local connection with Wiscasset (historical).
All true. However, the ridership/revenue increase would never even come close to covering the cost of construction.

I do like the idea of going "just far enough" south of Sheepscot/Cross Rd. to give a NB train a place to come from
I think that is something that would be reasonable to do, but after we cross 218 to the north and start dealing with the FRA, etc.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2008, 04:17:54 PM »
It would be a great advantage to build south (in the future), for the following reasons:

1. Connect with the Rt. 1 summer traffic.
2. Connect with the Maine Eastern RR
3. Local connection with Wiscasset (historical).

There are probably more reasons but those listed will bring in money.

Well John, while those are good reasons, even I realize it'll be a VERRY long time if ever that those things happen as 1) the RR owns NO property inside Wiscassett town lines and 2) there are SEVERAL houses and a few minor and at least a major road to cross to get there.
Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see it happen, but I think it much more realistic to envision going south "just enough" within the next 10-20 yrs or so.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2008, 04:20:23 PM »
Actually, it is my understanding that the RR owns one very small piece of land in Wiscasset.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2008, 07:21:11 PM »
We own a half acre of right of way in Wiscasset, thanks to a generous land owner.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2008, 07:22:17 PM »
Duncan Mackiewicz sent me a set of 7 pictures to share with everyone. I have linked them here (rather than post them) since some of our forum participants still use dial-up connections.

From North (Sheepscot Station) to South (just before the beaver pond)
http://www.spongeawareness.com/maps/row_south_1.JPG
http://www.spongeawareness.com/maps/row_south_2.JPG
http://www.spongeawareness.com/maps/row_south_3.JPG
http://www.spongeawareness.com/maps/row_south_4.JPG
http://www.spongeawareness.com/maps/row_south_5.JPG
http://www.spongeawareness.com/maps/row_south_6.JPG
http://www.spongeawareness.com/maps/row_south_7.JPG
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2008, 07:59:01 PM »
Thanks for the pics Duncan.....  Would love to see more.  I as well as everyone else realizes that going back to Wiscasset is a looonnnggg way off.  But being the eternal optimist, I will harken back to a baseball saying, " build it and they will come ".  We have our own Field of Dreams, it's just a wee bit narrower but a lot longer..... ;)
Moxie Bootlegger

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2008, 09:48:31 PM »
John,
I thought actually seeing what the ROW looks like cleared at ground level all the way to the beaver pond would give everyone a better understanding.  Now those folks who have not yet visited or have visited but not taken the time to hike it can see see how far the pond really is and what the topography of the ROW is like. 
Duncan

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2008, 10:41:33 AM »
Duncan,

Thanks again for the photos.  As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.  Does the museum own or have easements for this whole section?
Moxie Bootlegger

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2008, 10:47:50 AM »
Does the museum own or have easements for this whole section?
Yes.

I *think* we may even own all (or most) of the ROW to the Alna/Wiscasset town line.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2008, 11:31:41 AM »
I'm just curious where the "half acre" in Wiscassett actually is. Is it on the Wiscassett/Alna town line or is it "deep in the wilds" of Wiscasset?

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2008, 12:03:22 PM »
We (technically the Wiscasset & Quebec Railroad Company) own most of the right of way from Cross Road to the Wiscasset Town Line, minus about a 1000 feet south of the pond at the dam.

Our land in Wiscasset is about 200 feet north of the Middle school, the second of two properties north of the school's property.  Watch for the 100 foot high billboard coming soon....oh wait, we can't do that (Maine has an anti-billboard law).

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2008, 05:22:15 PM »
Watch for the 100 foot high billboard coming soon....oh wait, we can't do that (Maine has an anti-billboard law).
It hasn't stopped the Poland Spring Inn in Poland. A big 15' or so hogh by 25' or so wide billboard right next to a busy highway.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Win Nowell

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2008, 02:39:36 PM »
Why is it that the right-of-way from Cross Road south to the dam is free of trees and stumps? Was it cleared to provide access to the dam? maybe when the dam was built?

The map on page 6 of the Tours by Bill Reidy book looks like the west side of the reservoir could be filled in to restore the roadbed. If there was a large construction project project in the area with excess spoil it might be something to keep in mind. Like maybe if the Wiscassett by pass project ever came to fruition?

Win Nowell

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2008, 02:47:35 PM »
We cleared the trees from the ROW about 10 years ago.

The dam south of Cross road was, I think I have heard, put in in the 50s.  Road access is a road direct from 218.  The water level should by rights be about 5 feet below the level it is now, but because of branches, stumps, and other junk in front of the outflow pipes there's very little water flowing through it.  Lower the water level and you probably find the roadbed again.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2008, 02:53:19 PM »
To expand on what James wrote...
The access road is labeled "Verney Mill Road" on most current maps.

The ROW closest to the museum is kept mowed for overflow parking and some limited camping. After that, it is maintained as a hiking trail for anyone who wants to see the reason(s) why we can't immediately build to the south.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum