Author Topic: Current end of track?  (Read 54008 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Current end of track?
« on: December 13, 2008, 05:37:23 PM »
MODERATORS NOTE:
Current end of track? has been converted from the pre-July 2008 WW&F Discussion Forum.
Some formatting may have been removed or modified from the original postings that appear quoted in this topic.
Information contained within this post may be superseded by more recent postings and conversations.

Bill Reidy wrote:
I'm putting the final update together for the museum guide and realized today that I need to update the statement regarding the current end of track in service.  The 2006 version of the guide read "...the current end of
track in service is approximately 1400 feet north of Alna Center station."  I understand that per Wayne's measurement Sunday we added another 845 feet of in service track.

Does that mean the current end of track in service is approximately 2200 feet north of Alna Center?

Thanks,
Bill

Joe Fox replied:
Roughly. I think that the current end of passenger service track is about 1.9 miles or so. But I am not 100% sure.

Joe

Mike Fox replied:
Bill,
Sounds about right. I measured it on 2 different sites and came up within 100 feet of what you are estimating. Only I measured from Averill Road North.
Mike

Mike Fox replied:
Also using the same method, 1.96 miles of current in service Maineline  track. Does this sound right or close to what you have?
Mike

James Patten replied:
If the end of passenger-ready track is at the north end of Albee's Crossing, then 1.98 miles of track.  Total track is 2.09 (this counts the unspiked track at the end, which I probably shouldn't count).  Alna Center is 1.56 miles from the end of the rail at Sheepscot.

You could call it a half a mile and nobody will quibble.

Wayne Laepple replied:
When I measured on Sunday, per Dana's instructions, I measured from the red flag to the culvert at the bottom of the ladder. That was 845 feet. The flag is about 5 feet south of the south edge of the crossing.

Bill Reidy replied:
I came very close to James' estimate for in-service main line track: 1.99 miles (9,641 feet in service the end of 2006, per the 2006 restoration progress web page, + 845 feet measured  by Wayne = 10,486 feet, or 1.9859848484... miles).

Thanks everyone -- I'll go with the 2200 feet for the guide.

Bill

Wayne Laepple replied:
So let's see, the red flag is about 5 feet south of the crossing, the crossing is about 20 feet wide, there's a rail length plus another 5 feet or so north of the crossing already surfaced. So if you add another 60 feet...just 14 feet shy of 2 miles. We were that close to the 2-mile mark? Auggghhh!

Ira Schreiber replied:
Hopefully, someone will see fit to add the additional trackage as servicable and make the magic 2 mile run.
A couple hours work by a small crew should do the job.

Joe Fox replied:
I hope Dana decides to lay a few rail lengths down this summer to make the track longer, and so we could be a few more rail lengths closer to the Mountain. All we need to do now is just put down some more ballast, and tamp it, and we will have a 2 mile passenger service railroad. I believe all the rails are now spiked and bolted. A small crew did that on Saturday while the Fox team and the Black Pants gang were tamping.

Joe

Mike Fox replied:
James and all,
I was just guessing with Google Earth and the Maine Aerial Photography web sites. Very close to what you had.
Mike

Bill Reidy replied:
...We were that close to the 2-mile mark? Auggghhh!

Yup, that was pretty much my reaction when I did the math yesterday and came up with 1.99 miles.

Bill

Josh Botting replied:
Joe,

I believe the balast is down, all it needs it to be jacked, tamped, lined, and dressed.

Joe Fox replied:
Oh. It would be nice to have our track run 2 miles. Especially for the 470 railroad club trips. Oh well. Just tell them that the passenger ready track is 2 miles. So what if we are only a tenth or two off.

Joe

Brad Whittemore replied:
We are now 750 ft pass Albee's crossing within 10 ft. with the last 150 ft safety spiked. Hopefully June 8th or 9th it will be all spiked and ready to lay out another 150 ft of ties or so. The more the workers the easier the task. This 750 ft still needs to be tamped and jack and lined and so forth. But this is where we are at the moment with all other projects going on too.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
Re: Current end of track?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 05:47:49 PM »
Wait so the current WW&F mainline from Sheepscot Station to The Top Of The Mountain Station is 1.99 miles! Cant we just build a few more feet of track to make it 2 miles? :o ??? ::) :)
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 06:19:26 PM »
Matt,

This is an OLD thread. The track has since been extended, twice.

We now have well over 2 miles of in-service track, and 1200' of track that will probably be ready for service in the spring. This brings us about 1200' south of the Top of the Mountain.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 06:22:03 PM »
Okay then what will be the total miles between Sheepscots Station and The Top Of The Mountain Station?  :o :) :D

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 06:28:30 PM »
From Sheepscot to Top of the Mountain will be about 2.5 miles.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 07:48:09 PM »
Cool! When its finshed Ed can you make a map of the whole mainline and yards from Sheepscot Station to Top Of The Mountian Station!  ;D :) ;) :)

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 07:49:45 PM »
The map must also feature the new Sheepscots yards plan!  ;) :)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 08:40:02 PM »
Here's a topo map of the current WW&F system.
(Yard trackage is omitted, since it would be hard to distinguish it at this scale.)
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 08:41:17 PM »
And here's a photo map of the current WW&F system.
(Yard trackage is omitted, since it would be hard to distinguish it at this scale.)
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 11:11:03 PM »
Awsome map Ed! I though the mainline was shorter but I was wrong!  :D :o :) I think once we get enough money again, we can then extend the line north from Top Of The Mountain Station to route 218! Ed whats the total miles between Sheepscot Station to route 218?  ??? :)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 09:49:59 AM »
You'll have to understand, everything takes planning and money. We can't focus solely on extending the line and neglecting other things that need to get accomplished. Though it would be nice to reach 218 quickly, there is a series of 4 steps that go into rebuilding the line.
   1. Cutting the trees.
          This is time consuming and can only be done safely in the winter as we burn all the branches and smaller parts of the trees.
   2. Grading the Right of Way.
          This includes removing stumps and replacing culverts.
   3. Laying the rail.
         Done usually one long weekend in the fall. 1200 feet is a good accomplishment over 4 days. This takes a lot of planning and preparation.
   4. Ballasting and lifting the track.
         This is normally done during the spring work weekend. Again, a lot of planning to get this accomplished, a lot of labor to unload the cars. Basically shape and lift the rails to get them useable.

So you see, there is a lot of time involved in extending the line. It can't be done at the snap of a finger or the drop of a dollar. At our current rate of 1200 feet a year, we should reach 218 in 5 or 6 years. One Major obstacle would be the Carlton (aka Trout) Brook Bridge. So it might be longer.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 10:28:41 AM »
Oh okay thanks Mike!  :) :D :)

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 11:05:17 AM »
Don't forget that in Mike's list there's a "Step 0", which is to negotiate an easement with the land owner. We do not own any of the land shown between the end of track and route 218. We have been very successful with landowner negotiations, and are certainly thankful for their assistance, but negotiations are a very time consuming process. No one, Mainers in particular, likes to be rushed or pressured into these agreements.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 02:14:10 PM »
The repair of the extensive landslide north of Top of the Mountain is going to be a substantial project, and it could  take most of the funds we raise for a couple of years. So far, we have been able to rely on in-house talent to take care of many right-of-way issues. This area is going to require outside engineering assistance, not to mention extensive reconstruction work beyond our ability. This project alone could delay our arrival at Route 218 for at least a couple of years. And all this takes place after we have negotiated an easement and have satisfied the various state agencies with interests in this matter.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 03:35:36 PM by Wayne Laepple »

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 02:43:29 PM »
Especially the engineering assistance, because since the landslide happened once, it is likely to happen again after we clear it due to the already unstable lay of the land; unless we take measures to prevent it.  Being an engineer myself, I understand some of the situation just from what has been said.  Once the 'track' has been cleared, the dirt and embankment will have to be cut even furter back to allow a retaining wall to go in.  The removal will need to go far enough back to allow 'feelers' ( basically bakwards butresses ) to go into the hillside.  then as the fill goes in, underground drains must be instaled in gravel to relieve water pressure from behind the wall.  Not to mention the sloping of the entire structure to bring the center of gravity to the feeler side of the wall.  And then the choice of ground cover to keep the dirt in place, and the choice of facing to make it period apropriate... Oh and we'll want to leave enough space for the drainage diches on either side of the burm too....

the list goes on with the racheting expenses....
A spike saved is a spike earned.