Author Topic: July 2016 Work Planning  (Read 25894 times)

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
Re: July 2016 Work Planning
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 08:15:56 PM »
On Saturday Fred spent a good portion of the morning in the heat brush cutting along the right-of-way at Top of the Mountain along the side where Mike has been clearing the land for the mill.

The area where Mike has finished looked very good early Saturday afternoon, as seen in recently posted photos.
What–me worry?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 07:10:49 AM »
Thanks Bill. Yes, Fred did a lot of trimming Saturday morning, trying to expose the remaining stumps. A big help. Fred stated after we finished cutting trees this spring, he wasn't cutting any this winter if he had to walk around those stumps. Not being one to want to stop Fred, and having help from Brendan when he could, we have a nice semi flat area to walk across to hack the next bunch down.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 07:41:26 AM by Ed Lecuyer »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 10:01:09 AM »
In looking at the most recent pictures of the TOM clearing it looks really smooth.  If it hasn't already been done I would suggest that, while it is  fairly soft from all the digging and grubbing, the Casey Blade be drug backwards across the entire field to make it as smooth as possible.  That way it can be mowed with a mower like the AC field as the field attempts to grow fallow.

Just a suggestion from afar.

Bill
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 10:17:33 AM »
Been trying to keep up with that. There are a few high and low spots, but we are not building a soccer field. In the next couple of weeks, I would like to get some seed thrown out there and back blade it again put some hay on it. My time is very limited, so hoping for dry Sunday mornings the next few weeks to finish up
Mike

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2016, 06:03:20 PM »
Today, started cutting the walking trail ay Headtide, got about 200 beyond the swimming hole heading North I will be doing some tomorrow. I'm doing it at least 12 Ft. wide. Last year because we were building the new car barn we made a 4 Ft. wide trail along most of it . The field at the North end was completely done by David B. and Bill R.

Eric Larsen

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 10:43:17 PM »
Hows that bride we made years ago just before the swimming hole? 

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 03:25:39 AM »
The bridge is not good at all. During the convention, an older person would have a hard time on that bridge. I also mention some 5 gal. buckets with planks for seats be placed as resting areas for people. We have a couple of them around the museum now. Eric, when you come over maybe we can talk about how to fix the worst bridge.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2016, 05:36:47 AM »
Anticipated work for weekend of Saturday July 23:

* Turntable: forms, rebar, etc.
* Boxcar 67
* Top of Mountain grading

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2016, 07:28:56 AM »
Dana is available to lead a track day this Friday.  A rail needs to be changed and there are several low areas require tamping (Big Joe style).  We're planning on getting stone.

We also are knee deep in the turntable pit.  So here's the question for the masses:

How many would be willing to show up for a track day Friday?  If not enough, then we'll take what labor we have and work on the turntable. 

If not Friday, this track work needs to happen soon, for sure.

See ya
Jason

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2016, 12:00:09 PM »
I might be free early morning until 9, so I may change a few ties real early and measure the rail.

Also it looks like I will be free next Thursday but I will reconfirm that on Sunday.

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2016, 01:30:28 PM »
I cut more brush Northward on the Headtide trail today, tomorrow I should be past Two of the 30 Ft. walking bridges. Steve Z brought a chainsaw up and we removed some of the fallen trees.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2016, 05:23:14 PM »
Work done on Saturday July 23:

* Turntable: Jeff Verney was there early removing the excavated material - unfortunately Jeff doesn't volunteer, we have to pay him!  When the material was gone he came back with gravel/sand and removed it using his excavator and strategically placed it with that, while people shoveled/tamped it in the pit.  The pit is ready for the first pour on Monday.
* Boxcar 67: Zack was drilling holes in the sills and squaring them off for the mortise and tenons (I forget which is the hole and which isn't).  Marcel was disassembling the roof structure.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2016, 06:39:28 PM »
Mortise is the square or rectangular hole. Receptacle for the tenon
Mike

Terry W. Shirley

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2016, 09:09:28 PM »
Is the removed material from the excavation going to be put to use elsewhere, or was is just disposed of?

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2016, 11:06:40 PM »
How I remember...tenon (tongue) goes into mortise (mouth).
Crude but effective.  ;D
Paul Uhland