Author Topic: W. A. Young Foundry and Machine Shop  (Read 1969 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
W. A. Young Foundry and Machine Shop
« on: June 03, 2016, 06:58:07 PM »
I was going to add this newspaper story to the thread about the Eames Vacuum Brake system, but I thought it should stand on its own to show how wide and deep support for the WW&F is. The W.A. Young Foundry and Machine Shop is in southwestern Pennsylvania along the Monongehela River.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/20160601/volunteers_bring_back_x2018brass_pourx2019_to_historic_rices_landing_foundry#.V0-0Ah1mJt4.email

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: W. A. Young Foundry and Machine Shop
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 07:23:10 PM »
Thank you for sharing the link, Wayne. That's a nicely written article with a great picture of Rick making the pour.

Rick Rowlands

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Re: W. A. Young Foundry and Machine Shop
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 04:08:03 AM »
Unfortunately that pour didn't go off as planned due to various reasons, so I am making new molds and will be back on Sunday to try again.   There is a bit of a learning curve in reactivating a furnace that hasn't run in 80 years and re-learning the art of casting in that building using the tools and materials left behind.   

Some of you may know that the only other Eames brake equipped locomotive in the US, W&W No.4 is only about 15 miles away in Waynesburg.  No.4 lives in a new enginehouse with about 200 feet of track running along the museum's property.  There is a Plymouth Diesel mechanical in the building with No.4, and I was asked to get it running so they could pull No.4 out of the building for an event. 

Well, I went down there last Sunday and shortly determined that the Plymouth is now a 5 ton brick since mice have gotten into the intake manifold and managed to urinate into the cylinders, rusting the pistons fast to the cylinders.  However, I have an idea on using compressed air to get No.4 to move out under its own (air) power.  Stay tuned to see if this is going to be a success or not! 

Rick Rowlands
Chief Engineer
Jones & Laughlin Narrow Gauge Railway
Youngstown, OH