Author Topic: May 2016 Work Planning  (Read 34133 times)

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
Re: May 2016 Work Planning
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 08:24:39 PM »
Work done on Saturday May 14:

* Brush cutting: Dwight, Fred, Dave, and Bill (I think that's everybody) spent the day near Humason trestle cutting on the sides of the right of way.  This time of year they are getting any young tree shoots before the grass gets too long.

Dwight noted during the spring work weekend how big saplings were getting along portions of the right-of-way, so he and Fred (and others?) have been busy since cutting, so we don't have to use chainsaws later.  As it is, a lopper has to be used on some of the saplings, as they have grown too big for the blade trimmers.

I believe Dwight and Fred started at Sheepscot and headed north.  The crew today started at the north end of cock-eye curve and got to milepost 6 -- the west side is done a bit north of MP 6, while the east side is a bit short.

Much easier to deal with saplings now, before the seasonal brush, particular the goldenrod, has grown in.
What–me worry?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 09:22:56 PM »
Re opened an old wound..Brendan says he will prep it for Jason to weld this week. I was going to bring it home but B volunteered, saving me time..

Last weekend.

This weekend.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 09:25:41 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 09:53:42 PM »
It looks like it needs an orthodontist more than a welder. ;D

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 12:21:10 AM »
Definite progress.
Looks lots better.
A little tooth welding and ever onward.
Paul Uhland

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 11:51:50 AM »
Digging out stumps is great, but I am much more excited by that short video of the deep-throat riveter doing its thing! Wow!! and double wow!!!

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2016, 12:16:24 PM »
Wayne, Of course it is impressive.  I saw the rivet controller you repaired.  Well Done!  Bill
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2016, 01:08:59 PM »
After receiving permission at the Board Meetin Friday night, I headed out today to investigate a potential candidate for an equipment mover car for the Railway. For a very good price, I have found this trailer. Just over 6'6" wide between the wheels, this can easily be modified to rail wheels and handle the equipment moves. This will allow the excavator to be moved almost anywhere on the railroad, unload it for work, or work from the car, very quickly. No ramps to build. There will be some work to do to it, but the main thing was getting this deal while I could. You will not find a tougher frame at that price.

And since I was in the general area, I got permission from the railcar owner and stopped by to check it out. He is donating this to us, and I will coordinate a time with him when I can pick it up.

Mike

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2016, 03:34:38 PM »
It appears that Mike Fox now has the title of Master Repurposer.

Well earned and many thanks.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2016, 04:45:32 PM »
I can not take all the credit. A few of us have been talking at the museum about the need for such a piece. Different ideas were floated around. Lowboy type car, a home built car, or a trailer like this. I just have been looking for a trailer like this one for a while. I knew I had seen one before on rails, but could not remember where, until a reminder in the form of an email included a picture of a car at Seashore Trolley Museum.

The cart owner contacted us, so I acted. He hated to part with it but is thrilled to let us have it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 06:04:57 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2016, 05:35:43 PM »
Are the speeder/push car wheelsets going to be used under the trailer, or are they two separate projects?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2016, 06:10:07 PM »
Two separate projects. We have some heavier axles at the museum for the equipment car project.

The cart is home made. The axles and bearing appear to be an old heavy Fairmont style, like on the crane. My current plan is to remove the body and regauge the axles. The body will probably be disposed of.
Mike

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2016, 06:27:02 PM »
Thanks, Mike. I look forward to seeing the results of your ingenuity.

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2016, 08:27:48 PM »
Digging out stumps is great, but I am much more excited by that short video of the deep-throat riveter doing its thing! Wow!! and double wow!!!

Uhh, we may want to rename the riveter before this thread gets censored by the moderator.....
I noticed Youtube had some interesting but not very related suggested videos after I watched it in action.
Gawdon

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2016, 08:55:45 PM »
Your mind is in the gutter, Gawdon!!

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2016, 10:01:22 PM »
I was about to say something about Youtube's algorithms being in the gutter, but when I watched the riveting video again to test this, the related video suggestions I received were mostly old BBC Fred Dibnah documentaries about steam traction engines and boiler riveting, so Youtune is working correctly for me at least. :)