Author Topic: Question for John Dobson  (Read 5881 times)

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Question for John Dobson
« on: April 27, 2016, 08:53:28 AM »
Hi John,

In keeping with the spirit of Thor's most recent post regarding the desire to rescue some of the surviving 2' gauge Baldwin loks at Usina Tuima in Brazil, I was wondering if you could share your thoughts, recommendations and experiences regarding the handling of visiting quarry locos.  The Usina engines are our US equivalent.

I would imagine that in some ways the handling of guest locomotives would be similar to the procedures for dealing with boats, aircraft, and vintage cars.  How does the ffestiniog do it?  Does the ffestiniog get involved in the storage, inspection, certification and servicing of visiting or privately held locos?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Glenn Christensen - whose most recent visit to Portmadoc afforded him the opportunity to ride on Britomart's footplate!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 09:03:07 AM by Glenn Christensen »

John L Dobson

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
Re: Question for John Dobson
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 12:28:56 PM »
I haven't been involved with the 'bureaucracy' relating to visiting locomotives, so will have to ask around. Generally speaking, we now have so many small locomotives of our own that we can run most of our Galas and other events without having to hire anything in.
John L Dobson
Editor, FR Magazine

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 04:00:26 PM »
Thank you John!

Whatever information you can gather or any personal contacts you can arrange would be appreciated.  If you wish, please feel free to forward my direct email address: christensenge@yahoo.com

Best Regards,
Glenn

John L Dobson

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 01:01:33 PM »
To take your points in order, we don't normally get involved with the long-term storage of non-FR locomotives. Britomart is a special case as it belongs to a consortium of FR (and former FR) staff and the FR has had free use of it since the 1960s. Inspection and certification of visiting locomotives is the responsibility of the owners as is boiler insurance – in UK, boilers are certified by a boiler insurance company, which will have its own qualified inspectors who do visual inspections (internal and external) and oversee both cold pressure tests and tests under steam. They will also carry out ultrasonic thickness testing of boiler plates and test stays for cracks. Any other insurance (especially public liability insurance) is the responsibility of the FR whilst visiting locomotives are on the railway – I believe we have a policy that covers them without the need for special arrangements. Whilst the locomotives are in transit to/from the FR the road haulier's insurance applies. Servicing, in terms of coal water and oil, is from FR stocks whilst the visiting locomotives are on our premises – we are usually employing them on special, revenue-earning, trains which more than cover these costs.
John L Dobson
Editor, FR Magazine

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 03:28:44 PM »
Thank you John for a VERY complete answer!

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Glenn