Author Topic: Mapping the W&Q and the WW&F  (Read 15073 times)

Reg Gilbert

• Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
Re: Mapping the W&Q and the WW&F
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2018, 09:35:20 PM »
Concerning  the ROW Albion to Burnham:It shows up on; "Satellite map of the World :google. From Rt 100 go East on Troy Rd to
Battle St. ,which is as far as I've travelled on ROW.Loggers have it blocked to stop 4X4 rutting, etc. You can follow  ROW South. Crank up resolution and scroll along...If it fades back off resolution  and you'll be able to pick up the line.As you go further South ROW is easier to see as it sees more use for logging. North of Leonard Rd (County or Winnecook Rd.) crossing the bog shows some of the work, though it
can't be seen from South side of bog .This lot is owned by Bingham Land Company, which has used ROW  in its' operations for years.
 South of Leonard Rd. a mile or so the land is owned by EDBessey to Rte. 139. Some sections are impassible due to water,but brave souls do try, and have found passage around the bad spots. Blowdowns are usually gone by Nov.
Bessey crews cut East of ROW Accessing By extending Palmer Rd to the West.
Permission required for Bessey and Bingham Properties.
The ROW has been used by skidders and although rutted has a sound base after all these years.Most signs of wood bog crossings have disappeared.
Another point: From Rte 139 crossing about half a mile South on left a small farmhouse used to have a rack with a few lengths of
rail. Years ago owned by Wiggins . Related to lady who wrote books??? I don't know about 139 to Albion stretch .Could be open in places
for ATV & sledders.
I wonder if any landowners used RR to haul logs from this area in the few years the line was there.It would have been a good easy way to ship in those days.  Any records would probably be iin Bullwinkle's hat with the rabbit.
A hunting pal says he saw a pile of rail iron in the woods , but has been unable to find again.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2018, 11:14:50 PM »
Reg,
Where was this rail pile? I have heard of one in Alna that was removed when the land was logged..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Reg Gilbert

• Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2018, 03:27:49 PM »
He's been hunting the area for 60years..Been unable to relocate and gave up looking.
Cutters may have taken them. Or over 30 years ago on a very dry year ROW was passable.in 4 wheel
drive..
Hard to believe they would leave iron behind since. they. were using on Winslow spur.
Has anyone heard. about. rails at Wiggins' ?They were on display in front of farmhouse. on. A rack.