Author Topic: New videos of 30" Baldwins in Brazil  (Read 15497 times)

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
New videos of 30" Baldwins in Brazil
« on: April 02, 2016, 07:02:31 PM »
Hi,

The following are recent videos from the VFCO / EFOM museum that runs between Sao Joao Def Rei and Tiradentes, in Brazil's Minas Gerais state.

The first two drone videos of the turn around operation in Tiradentes.
The first link is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MF0s4Tu9e4

The second link is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWqa_KG3jlw

The third link shows recent scenes from the line.
It is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycZG8WMKN2M

My thoughts:
When the WW&F analog of this happens, I hope all of us get to see it in good company, because I'm certain that we'll all be *MIGHTY* pleased WHERE-EVER we are!

Sincerely,
Glenn

PS - Sorry if you had problems reading this reply earlier.  I had a little problem with the links.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 08:47:35 PM by Glenn Christensen »

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: New videos of 30" Baldwins in Brazil
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 08:45:11 PM »
Glenn, I fixed your hyperlinks for you.

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 08:50:43 PM »
Thank you James!

You are a true gentleman!

Sincerest Best Regards,
Glenn

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 10:06:23 PM »
This video shows the same railroad as the other 3 but in 2009. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rKm6qsl6nE

The 30" gauge line starts at the main station in Sao Joao del Rei the hstoric "home base" for the railway. All trains changed there. The yard, all buildings and all shops and other assets are all original and virtually unchanged since the RR ceased regular services in 1983.  Among other highlights in the yard is the grand terminus building, the massive train shed and a completely round roundhouse full of mostly Baldwin locomotives. 

From Sao Joao, the main lines ran east through Tiradentes to termini at Antonio Carlos/Sitio and Barbacena and west to Barro do Paraopeba and Lavras.  Connections to the Brazilian standard gauge (5'3" gauge) were made at the two eastern termini and to metre gauge lines at Aurelio Morales and Lavras.  The total main line distance between Sitio and Paraopeba was 601.8 Km, exclusive of the many branches. Connections to the interior steamboat lines were made at Paraopeba and Rio Vermelho.

Needless to say, this museum and La Trochita in Argentina are firmly ensconsed(sp?) on my bucket list.

Best regards,
Glenn

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 05:29:57 PM »
Thanks for the links.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 09:58:17 AM »
"De nada", Jeff.

You are most welcome.

john d Stone

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 11:41:00 AM »
Really neat videos, Glenn! Trains magazine ran a feature on this operation back in the 70's, when it was still a common carrier! I've got it, somewhere, in the Stone archives/fire hazard/rodent nest. It included an all time roster and a system map. Wow, what an empire! I believe they even had sleepers at one time! It's great to see that some of it survived and is operated.

Other John

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 05:05:30 PM »
Hi "Other",

I have a copy of the same issue!  I too thought it gave terrific coverage of the line and it's history. 

Comprehensive references on these lines are few and far between, in any language.  The Internet has been a Godsend in the translation and the availability of information, but that only goes so far. 

For example:  Imagine a Brazilian researcher needs information on a German-built locomotive that is currently located in an area whose local dialect is Cantonese.  The source documents are all written in German. The scholar knows a little German but has no Cantonese at all.  Chances are the local Master mechanic or someone in the shop or office can read the German source documents.  After all, they still need to do their jobs.  But it is very unlikely the Cantonese shop man. who happens to read German, is going to be able to respond to a request from the researcher in Portuguese - assuming he even has the interest or available time.

As far as I know, the first book covering these lines in detail, was published in 1985 by Railhead Publications book and entitled, "Brazilian Steam Album - Volume 1 - "Plus & Minus Two Footers."  It was written by Carlheinz Hahmann and Charles S. Small.  It chronologued the Brazilian 2' and 30" narrow gauge lines.  Before that, I know of only a few scattered magazine references in any language.

There was also a good book published on the line in 2001 by Dr Paul E. Waters that I had to get from Railbooks.com in the UK titled "West of Minas Narrow Gauge."  If you can get a copy of either book, I suggest you do so without hesitation. 

There are also the books from Thor Windberg's friends in the EFPP preservation group.  I have the one on the EFPP entitled "Brazil's last 60cm Railroad, the Perus-Pirpora Cement Railroad".  There is also another on the line's #7, a Baldwin 2-4-0 tender loco.  You can contact Thor via e-mail at: windbergs@yahoo.com or go to his website at:  www.thorsteamworld.com

Best Regards,
Glenn

john d Stone

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 04:24:22 PM »
Thanks Glenn!

It amazes me the variety of narrow gauge systems which have existed/still exist in the big world. The internet and youtube  have exposed me to a few of the wonders and always digging for more!

In the Trains article, I remember a beautiful Baldwin 4-4-0 being used as a depot shifter. Love to see that one run! Maybe if I hit the lottery, I could go grab one and see what Jason could do about making it fit 2 foot rails!

other

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 06:28:12 PM »
Yah, john, I'm right there with you!  But I think you already know how the Brazilians would react to proposal to export any one of the EFOM locomotives ...  It would be the same as the likely Chinese reaction any proposal to repartriate one of the 3 remaining 2' gauge Baldwin 0-10-0s.  Not "NO!" but, "HELL NO!"  We'd to the same for any of the sturviving Maine Two Foot locos.  ESPECIALLY WW&F #9!

According to Waters, three of the 4-4-0s still exist.  These are numbers: 1, 21, 22.  All of them are in Sao Joao del Rei.  #1 is in the EFOM museum and 21 and 22 have operated within the past two decades or so.  In fact, I think all of them of them are depicted in some of the videos my post refers to.  #1 at least USED to reside next to the crane within the big train shed, although I seem to recall seeing number 21 there in the most recent videos.

They are beautiful ocomotives though, aren't they?

Best Regards,
Glenn

john d Stone

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 07:10:03 PM »
Beautiful, yes! I think 21 was the one operating in the Trains article. And I guess you're right about their reluctance to release any of the family jewels. As for the Chinese 0-10-0's, neat as they are, I'm afraid of what they would do to WW&F track!

Pretty little, appropriate Forneys fit the bill perfectly.

other

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 09:12:19 PM »
Hey there other!

Agreed!

Glenn