Author Topic: Downtown Wiscasset Traffic Design Options  (Read 26871 times)

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: Downtown Wiscasset Traffic Design Options
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2016, 12:39:08 AM »
That rebuilt boxcar I worked on has been spotted there on the depot's front "house track" for a couple years, attracts visitors, and train riders before and after  daily runs.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 11:17:01 AM by Paul Uhland »
Paul Uhland

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2016, 06:45:08 AM »
Is the concern raised by several folks that the new location would require a ramp for wheelchair access?  It's not just about constructing a set of steps.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2016, 12:00:27 PM »
If it was next to the pier like it is now and not on it, it would be best.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2016, 12:22:32 PM »
Dave,

Good catch.  I didn't think about the wheel chair issue.  Perhaps we can work with MDOT to leave ground level access for 67 where it is when they raise the parking lot to road level.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2016, 07:36:26 AM »
Bill, I believe wheelchair ramps are limited to about a 6% slope (6 feet of rise for every 100 feet of run), so a ramp up to the floor level of 67, even assuming a height of 4 feet above the dock would require about 67 feet of ramp.  We would have to have a zig-zag ramp similar to the front of the Percival house, as an example.

Dave Crow

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2016, 11:49:40 AM »
I could visualize recreating the Turner Center Creamery building and displaying it adjacent to that. Remember, Maine DOT is footing the bill, or so they say. We could use that to our advantage to create a better display and presence in Wiscasset. I think the display area should be located on the WW&F's original alignment so as to suggest we have the intention of one day returning- or at least keeping that option open.

One could argue that Option 2 creates a  different retail environment and creating a large structure like the creamery could give us a place to do this. I know Wiscasset is looking into the possibility of a small-medium size downtown grocery. Perhaps it could be located on the 1st floor of said building.

Steve
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:51:20 AM by Stephen Piwowarski »

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2016, 12:52:27 PM »
But wouldn't the creamery building block the water view from Sarah's Kitchen restaurant?  They might not appreciate that.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2016, 02:29:50 PM »
One thing is sure, the Museum needs to have several representatives at the town meetings with MDOT to voice our concerns and desires.  They probably don't know that we need level access to remove the car during the winter and to return it in the spring.  Nor will understand our desire to have good visibility from the road as well as easy pedestrian and wheel chair access.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Harold Downey

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2016, 06:51:46 PM »
Why don't we put it on track, on pilings, on the original siding location?  (Assuming MDOT is footing the bill).

Harold

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2016, 07:39:30 PM »
How do we get to the track to offload/load the car, if it's on pilings?  If the pilings/track goes to the town wharf, it might be doable.

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2016, 01:06:18 PM »
Hi,

Since we're thinking outside of the box, I always thought that the turretted Wiscasset freight house right alongside Route 1 at the original trestle crossing site, with a couple flags flying, would be a real eye-catching sight. perhaps connect it to a copy of the Wiscasset station via a long covered platform.  That would give us maximum exposure and plenty of room for ticketing, gifts, office space and perhaps with the help of the state and town, public toilets.

Best Regards,
Glenn

Dale Reynolds

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2016, 06:14:03 PM »
re: wheelchair access to reefer 67, my local church has a see-thru caged machine that raises about 5' and takes up only about 5' square of space. couldn't have been too expensive, our congregation of Presbyterians are very frugal. dale