Author Topic: Locomotive 9 Returns to Service  (Read 14127 times)

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: Locomotive 9 Returns to Service
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 06:48:11 PM »
On a more serious note, I carefully listened to the Victorian Christmas video and did not detect the cylinder "wheeze" on the right side that I heard on the first movement video that I believe Brendan taped.  Can anyone confirm that it has indeed been worked out or do we still have an issue with the right side cylinder?
Moxie Bootlegger

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 07:00:20 PM »
I believe I heard Jason mention that if the wheeze had still been there it would not have run for VC.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 02:54:28 PM »
Nice 1.5 page article in the March 2016 issue of Trains magazine on the successful restoration of #9. Thanks to Wayne (and our friends at Trains) for the publicity!
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2016, 07:43:38 PM »
Looking at the "look back" photo of Sandy River No. 5, I saw that the cab had sliding doors.  Which railroad got rid of the doors?  Any chance that doors will be added?  In another photo of No. 5, there appears to be a half door on the firemen's side (can't see engineer's side).  One of the engine crew is seen leaning on it.  What's the story on that?

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 08:33:31 PM »
I would guess that the sliding doors worked great for about 15 minutes, then got all gummed up with dirt and coal dust in the summer and ice and snow in the winter.  Unless the only slide track was on the top, and the bottom didn't have a track.

One of the books (probably Two Feet to Tidewater) had a quote from Earl Keefe about the last train, in #8.  He said that the engine had the "rat trap" door, which had the seat on the inside of the door.  In order to get out, you had to stand up, move the seat, and only then could you open the door.  I think that feature was long gone on #9 by the time it got to the KC.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 05:01:03 PM »
The "Backward Glance" series on facebook has been highlighting the career of SRRR #5 leading up to the locomotives 125th birthday in may.  Over the last two months we have shown the early years when the engine was on the Sandy River line.

A recap:  

February 8th post:  Shows #5 new in 1891 with inward swinging cab doors.  The crew soon found that they didn't like being confined with doors that were hard to open in an accident.  The December 1892 wreck just north of Farmington destroyed the cab and caused enough damage that #5 went back to the Portland Company for repairs.  The loco emeged with a new cab that sported exterior sliding doors.

February 28th post: Shows the rebuilt #5 just after unloading from a Maine Central flatcar.  The doors and headlight are two of the bigger changes.  You'll see more changes in future posts including the doors removed in favor of cab curtains.

Keep watching fb for more on our #9 back when she worked in Franklin County.  The Backward Glance series will contine until May when we have a special event for #9 turning 125 years old.  
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 08:18:04 AM by Stewart "Start" Rhine »