Author Topic: March 2016 Work Planning  (Read 26449 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
Re: March 2016 Work Planning
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 02:17:07 PM »
I was at the museum fore a few hours on Wednesday while delivering the turntable castings, and I must say I was more than impressed by the progress on a variety of fronts -- land clearing, carhouse doors, section house, B&SR 67, No. 10, vacuum brakes, etc. Kudos to all involved. Man, I wish I lived closer!

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 06:30:59 PM »
Work done on Saturday March 12:

* Car barn: Another Saturday, another door put up.  Zack started on the last door, then once that's up he has to put in a man door on the north side (east wall).
* Kubota: Mike reassembled the engine and late in the afternoon was trying to get it started.  It did start but had some bad knocking.  Don't know if he got it resolved.
* ToM cutting: We got rid of the Lone Poplar and cut some more in that area for a fire, while another fire on the old fire site from last week was set.  We cut for about 2 hours and cleaned up from the Tuesday crew.
* Track: I decided to replace the bolts on the new track in the North Yard with the proper bolts.  So I found the track crew impact wrench...but the rachets were way to big.  So I poke around and found the right sized rachets...but they're the wrong size for the impact wrench.  Mike told me about the box with the right fittings in the machine shop...so I spent a while looking for that.  Finally found it, it's HEAVY.  Lug it up to the North Yard and started working.
* Visitors: The first visitors of the year came by, quite a few actually, so Bob C gave a tour to one group and I to another.

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2016, 06:38:54 PM »
Are you sure it wasn't sockets you were looking for?

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 07:26:56 PM »
It would be neat to have an old-time "Judas door" in one of the bog barn doors.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 07:32:31 PM »
Are you sure it wasn't sockets you were looking for?
No wonder I was having such a hard time finding things!  Yes that's the word I wanted.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2016, 07:55:21 PM »
I dunno, if you were working close to the Coocoo's nest, it could have been a Ratchet you were looking for.........  :)
Moxie Bootlegger

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2016, 08:09:35 PM »
I agree with Wayne's suggestion of a Judas door. (I remember the old machine shop at Edaville had one, and I thought it was the neatest thing.)

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2016, 08:25:51 PM »
John K:
Are you sure you are not going to nurse that one for awhile?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2016, 08:31:04 PM »
Zack was concerned with how the man door would affect the integrity of the car door. He was particularly concerned with twisting and warping. So Fred has graciously donated another door.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 05:56:43 AM »
Anticipated work Saturday March 19:

* Car barn: One last big door to go up.
* ROW cleanup: A few trees are down from last fall and this winter.  We should clean them up (in prep for the photo charter), and maybe clean out the fallen trees in the first washout (in prep for SWW).
* Boxcar 67: With the car barn doors out of the way Zack's going to turn his attention to it.  Plus we got some lumber back.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2016, 06:03:57 PM »
Work done on Saturday March 19:

* Car barn: The last door is up, then Zack spent the rest of the day putting up the trim around the doors.  Fred and others did some straightening up inside, organizing some of the boards that were strewn about.
* Kubota: Mike did some shopping, got it running, but it still knocks bad when the gas pedal is pushed.
* Boxcar 67: The frame and beams were on one of the flatcars this morning, and were moved into Bay 2 and set up on railroad ties.
* Cleanup: Several of us went north to cut up the two blowdowns between Trask and AC, and the one down on Cockeye Curve.  Fred was beat at the end of the day.

Today was Alna Town Meeting day, so locals were missing because of that.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 06:14:51 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2016, 06:50:38 PM »
A bit more on the Kubota. The compression knock is still there. Due to the age, Kubota could not supply me with a new injector. So I went and played with it more. Cylinder #3 is not getting the proper amount of fuel. I swapped injectors and the problem stayed on #3. So I am thinking there is something with the injection pump itself. The Kubota dealer gave me a number to call, which I will do Monday and see what they charge to check/clean/repair the pump and injectors.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2016, 06:04:38 AM »
Anticipated work for weekend of March 26:

* Major photographic "excursion" on Friday.  30-something photographers will be attending.  If you want to help out as a volunteer, you need to make arrangements with Jason and/or Joe Fox (don't just show up).  I think it lasts until after dark, unless rain cancels the dark part.
* Saturday is Easter Eggspress.  Trains 12, 1, 2 and 3. 
* Sunday will be some cleanup.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2016, 07:36:52 AM »
One very important part about the charter, is any one wishing to volunteer we ask that you please dress in historic looking clothing to the best of your ability.

For example, as a conductor I will have a denim coat, red dress shirt, and jeans with suspenders. Not 100% correct, however it is within reason.

Kevin Madore

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
    • My Flicker Albums
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2016, 10:16:50 AM »
Hi Joe,

Is there much snow on the ground at the museum?   Here in Northern MA, we do have some snow, so just wondering.

Photographers who are attending Friday should be prepared for wet/cold conditions.   That means dress warmly, wear waterproof boots and have full-body rain gear....preferably dark colors (vs red/yellow/orange).   It is also critical that folks bring something to keep their cameras dry.   Water and electronics don't mix well at all, and most consumer cameras are not weather-sealed. Mine theoretically is, but I'm not about to test that theory.   There are several commercially available "raincoats" for cameras, the cheapest of which is about $8 and works very well.   In a pinch, a small garbage bag can be configured to do the job.

Most regular charter patrons know the drill, but there are always folks who are new to the game who might show up a bit unprepared without a little coaching in advance.   Hopefully, they read this forum!    ;D

See you Friday!

/Kevin