Author Topic: February 2016 Work Planning  (Read 14861 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
Re: February 2016 Work Planning
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2016, 01:29:52 AM »
Sunday:

More Kubota motor assembly. Brendan was doing a little clean up in the afternoon, getting the grounds looking good and photogenic.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2016, 12:08:14 PM »
Anticipated work for Saturday Feb 27:

* Car barn doors
* Boxcar 67
* ToM tree cutting & burning
* Vacuum brake project
* Kubota work

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2016, 12:02:28 AM »
We have a door to put up in the morning before we can head north to cut. Should not take long, then Zack can get the measurements and complete the set.
Mike

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2016, 02:50:15 PM »
For those who don't see the behind the scenes work, Ed Lecuyer, with the help of Jason, John M, James P, Steve P and others got the final report completed and sent to the NRHS for their Grant for the Russian Iron Boiler project on No. 9.  This report was written in a way that will share our experience and expertise to provide other locomotive preservationist with guidelines on how to better restore their boiler jackets. 

Also, this morning a grant request for the vacuum brake project was completed and sent to NRHS.  The aforementioned individuals also helped me a lot on this project.  I am sure there are many others who preform lots of work behind the scenes and off site that deserve mention.

Bill

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2016, 09:31:03 PM »
Great work, Bill and all. Thanks for your efforts.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2016, 10:33:48 PM »
This morning while running the diesel to the TOM clearing project, I noticed 2 deer running down the tracks. Slowing down, I started counting. 11 deer total crossed the tracks. 1 of them was the most interesting. It is was a piebald. Mostly white with tan spots. I had never seen one in person, only in photos. Made my day.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 10:53:00 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2016, 10:42:44 PM »
I can tell you that they really do run like deer.

Work done on Saturday Feb 27:

* Car barn door: We hung the first door of the middle bay, then returned the workbench to Bay 2 where Zack started working on the second door.  It was boarded by the end of the day, although he still has more work to do.
* TOM tree work: Started on a heavy duty thicket of dead pine that got a good fire going fast.  Mike was a like a race-car driver, racing here and there cutting stuff down, saw in full throttle.  We "got" to the Porcupine Palace Highway, on one corner of our clearing (although not all the trees are cleared out in that section).  Later I walked to the Palace then found the north line and one of the pins in the ground.
* Shingle mill motor: Mike tried to get that going in the afternoon with no success. 

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2016, 01:20:29 AM »
I think the switch is stuck in the off position. While driving home, I thought of something I did not try. I did not directly ground the wire from the rotor cap. I was thinking when the wire was grounded, it would stop the spark, when it is just the opposite. The rotor needs a ground to create the spark. So, next time I will try to ground the wire, bypassing the switch.

Also, Kubota motor was worked on. I finished the head by attaching the intake and exhaust manifolds, neck assembly for the coolant, the glow plugs and a heat shield. Waiting on a special washer for the crank. The new oil pump is just a shade thicker and need the washer on the crank for clearance. Hoping it arrives this week then I can finish assembling that end, get it to the garage to put the flywheel side back together.
Mike

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2016, 04:50:28 AM »
Last fall it seemed like we only had one good track flag stand and usually we had to use survey stakes with the flag duct taped or safety wired to it.  I just finished four track flag stands so when I bring them up this Spring we should then be able find at least one or two.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2016, 11:37:18 AM »
Nice, Bill, thanks.

(P-L)M = N

Variable:
P = flag staff production rate
L = flag staff loss rate
M = mysterious factor
N = number of flag staffs available at any one moment.

We use "M" in a lot of our calculations.

See ya
Jason

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2016, 02:35:25 PM »
Jason,

LOL

L = Laugh
O = Out
L = Loud

When I read your formula for locating flag staffs (or any other tool) I had to LOL for at least a minute.  When I factor 'M' into my daily life I now understand why I spend half my time looking for what I just had in my hand a few minutes ago.  It also explains why I wonder why I walked into a room.  It is the 'M' factor.

Bill

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2016, 05:56:07 AM »
Um...what are track flag stands used for?
Paul Uhland

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2016, 09:36:08 AM »
Um...what are track flag stands used for?

Flag stands are used to hold flags :), for example a red flag meaning 'stop' at end of track, or a blue flag to protect a piece of rolling stock under repair that you're not supposed to move or couple to.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 10:53:05 AM by Philip Marshall »

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2016, 01:04:32 PM »
To further Philip's explanation: 

We set work zones on the railroad, most often during the Spring and Fall Work Weekends.  Yard work zones may have a red flag that closes a section of track to traffic except that which the track foreman signals to proceed after the work train has stopped and requested permission.  Mainline work zones are signaled first with a yellow flag for approach (reduce speed) and then with a red flag (stop) which denotes where work begins and crew +tools and equipment is on or near the track.  If the zone is at the end of track (EOT) just a yellow and red are used, spaced apart by about 150'.  If the zone is along the main there may be four flags to signal traffic coming from each direction.  Sometimes just two yellow flags will be set which presents a slow order to train crews denoting a slow order work zone.  This application is most often used when a weed cutting crew is working along a section of track.

Probably more than you wanted to know about signal flags but the information gets everyone ready to see them in use during the Spring Work Weekend.   

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2016, 02:25:36 PM »
Paul, 

Great question.  I had to learn the same thing from the 'experts'.  Stewart's explanation about the main line work zone is why I built four. 

Last summer and fall I was with a few folks working on joint bar bolts where we had to flag the main line in both directions.  We could repair about two joints before the Northbound train and two more before the Southbound return trip.  As we progressed Northward with the hand car and tools we would move the flags, which got to be a problem with the 'duct tape/safety wire' version becoming more and more frail with each move.

Of course, Jason's great formula (P-L)M = N explains the conundrum of why there are never more than one or two flag stands around.  Perhaps I should have made more.  But increasing P would probably cause an increase either L or M.

Bill