Author Topic: Alna Station at Top of the Mountain????  (Read 5256 times)

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Stations
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 11:30:36 AM »
I think we need to remember what a "station" is, it is NOT a building or a passenger stop. A station is any location listed in the employee timetable by name.

Keith

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Alna Station at Top of the Mountain????
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 03:52:08 PM »
Joe,

Based on timetables I've seen it was actually another stop called Alna. Keith, I tend to agree with you except this station in Alna was listed on the public timetable rather than the employee timetable.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 09:25:14 PM »
Historical Aerials.com shows there was never a public road to TOM, dates of 1893, 1898, 1905, 1912 and 1921 all show a lack of a road. Residences were scattered along what is now 218. Also, one residence on Averill Rd is shown in all those maps (where the cellar hole is) as well as 3 on Cross Road, between 218 and West Alna Rd.

http://historicaerials.com/map/
Mike
Membership Secretary, Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc. CMO of off rail equipment

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2016, 12:44:16 AM »
I'm surprised that even the Topo's don't show the railroad grade.  Apparently the two footers weren't deemed important enough for the Army Corps to include them into their maps.

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2016, 01:24:23 AM »
That is surprising. The SR&RL and B&SR are shown on old topo maps, so why not the WW&F? Did someone at the USGS get lazy and just keep using the 1893 base map (which predated the W&Q) without ground truthing it?

If you look at the 1956 aerial photos though the grade is as clear as can be.

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2016, 05:06:42 AM »
I remember reading that the WW&F didn't appear on the topos due to the year it was built and the year it was abandoned were both between map revisions.  I'm sure that Ed or someone can detail this further.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2016, 01:57:08 PM »
The 1956 aerial views show the broad sweeping reverse curve that starts at the Wis/Alna town line plus, most of the Sheepscot River trestle work was still in place. 

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 02:19:49 PM »
We have a two foot contour map of the TOM area, and if you know what to look for you can follow the grade, see the fills, cuts and the washouts. Even the normal 10 foot contour shows up some detail. The company Ed Lecuyer works for has some detail in it and I was using Friday with the gps feature on my phone to find the pins.
Mike
Membership Secretary, Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc. CMO of off rail equipment

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2017, 10:11:11 PM »
Folks,
         Ellis Walker  discussed Alna Station in a couple of his musings. He was aware of the movements and
suggested that a sign be placed along the right of way to name the original location.

If you do not have the Musings in book form; I understand the re-print is now available in the museum book store.

Ted Miles, WW&F Member

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2017, 05:15:22 AM »
Ellis first discussed the peripatetic Alna Center station in his WW&F Musing No. 63 (Sept/Oct 2001) which is available in the WW&F Musings book. He discusses this subject in revised detail in 2-Foot Musing No. 10 (Jan/Feb 2004) which is available in the newly published Two-Foot Musings book. The Two-Foot Musings book is not a reprint of the WW&F Musings book but rather a new book that contains a later set of Ellis's articles. Both books are available in the Museum gift shop; buy one (or both) today! ;D

-John M
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:21:55 AM by John McNamara »

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2017, 01:53:20 AM »
After talking tl a few other volunteers, we noticed that in a few photos the station was moved to the bottom of Albees field for some unknown reason as the Albee farm is directly behind it.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2017, 09:19:17 AM »
If the trees were not in the way, the Albee Farm could be seen from it's current location. No indication it was ever anywhere else.
Mike