Author Topic: Wiscasset Motor Lodge Under New Ownership  (Read 3076 times)

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Wiscasset Motor Lodge Under New Ownership
« on: January 07, 2016, 05:03:37 PM »
Got this email this morning to the Museum from the new owners of the Motor Lodge, thought that I would share it with you:

I wanted to take a moment to introduce ourselves. My husband, Eric, and I are the new owners of the Wiscasset Motor Lodge.

We understand your volunteers stay with us every spring for your work weekend. We wanted to make it quick and easy for them to reserve a room and get a 10% discount on their room. We’ve put the special under the “Group Events” tab on our online reservation engine. https://reserve3.resnexus.com/resnexus/Reservations/Lodging/RetailAndSpecials/1?UID=E5B06978-C16A-46D1-A1DE-48FEB25E98FE
They are also welcome to call in their reservation as always. We’re closed for the season and so our office hours are sporadic but we return calls within a day or two of receiving them.

New this year is a full, hot breakfast served every day. We will also be keeping the dining room open from 6 am to 10 pm if people would like to socialize before or after their work day. On cold or wet days we’ll have a roaring fire as well as cards, board games, and books available.

If you have an official advertising photo you would like us to use I’d love a copy of it. As you can see the one I’ve borrowed from the internet is a little blurry. I’ve also used one on our Mid-Coast adventures page.

If you have any questions or corrections please let me know.

Saundra Neperud

The link will find its way to the website at some point.

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Wiscasset Motor Lodge Under New Ownership
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 09:12:55 PM »
James and others,

I spoke to Saundra Wednesday checking on my previously-made reservation for the Spring Work Weekend. My reservation, and those previously made by others, are or should be intact but a call to check is not a bad idea. She advised that if anyone is planning to stay at the Motor Lodge during the Spring Work Weekend and they have not yet made a reservation, it would be a good idea if they were to attempt to make contact with her by calling the Motor Lodge number 207-882-7137 which, by the way, is the same number it has been. They will be taking reservations on a more aggressive tact so there may be times that a last minute call for a room might not work out if the room you want is already booked. Saundra also noted they will take reservations up to a year ahead so making a reservation for the Fall Work Weekend is quite possible.

She also advised that an expanded breakfast menu is planned and would normally begin at 7AM. However, when I mentioned that some of the Motor Lodge guests who work at the museum head for breakfast at 6AM or a bit earlier, she indicated that a 6AM breakfast-start for the days of the work weekend was a definite possibility. She also said that there are plans to offer that same breakfast area at the Motor Lodge as a place where guests can gather later for a cup of coffee and/or "chewing the fat" and a warm fireplace.

Just thought I would share the discussion she and I had yesterday.

Duncan

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 01:42:38 AM »
Oh no... the choices... Breakfast at the Lodge... or at Ships Chow Hall... the choices... how to choose...  I must confess, the breakfast conversation at the Ships Chow Hall has become one of my favorite parts of the Work Weekend experience. 

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 02:04:43 AM »
During (or maybe before) Friday's board meeting the subject of breakfast at the Motor Lodge came up.  Apparently the owners prior to the Gillies started offering breakfast, and the Gillies continued it for a while but then dropped the breakfast. 

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 12:20:47 PM »
Maybe because 7am is too late for breakfast...

Carl Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 05:53:10 AM »
It is impeding on lunch at 10 - Dinner at noon
Afternoon lunch 3 - supper at 6 - and something to tide you over
at 9 - and sometimes a scoop of ice cream at midnight.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 03:41:27 PM »
FYI - The nexus link for the Motor Lodge is no longer working.  Don't know if its because of the off-season or if they are no longer linked with that network.  Anyone have a clue?

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 08:52:44 PM »
If you use the phone number listed on their website, actually the original website, it works fine although they might not pick up if they are busy but they will call you back if you leave a number on the answering machine.

Hunt Dowse

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 02:36:32 PM »
Sara and I just made our reservation for the Wiscasset Motor Lodge for the SWW.  Saundra mentioned that they do have several (9) rooms left but that anyone wanting a room might want to call pretty soon.  !0% discount for WW&F volunteers and a hot breakfast, as mentioned before.  We always enjoyed the stay at the WML under Nancy and Bill's ownership and look forward to meeting the new owners.

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 12:34:34 AM »
The owners of the Motor Lodge, now known as Wiscasset Woods Lodge, have decided that being open for Spring Work Weekend doesn't make financial sense for them, so they will not be open for it next year (2018).  They will open up in mid-May.

I'm guessing there's still plenty of motel space around at that time: Cod Cove Inn, Pioneeer Motel, Sheepscot Harbor Village, and Schooner Inn, to name a few.

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 12:53:57 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that James as "The Lodge" has been my go-to place for both work weekends many years.

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 04:48:45 AM »
Like Duncan, the lodge has been my Maine home away from home for many years. Such a shame we have to find a new Railway home away from home. Alas, things change.

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 02:15:43 AM »
What you said, Duncan and Bill!