Author Topic: Track and Wheel Standards  (Read 1769 times)

Rick Rowlands

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Track and Wheel Standards
« on: December 18, 2015, 02:40:42 PM »
Does the WW&F have a set of track and wheel standards that they follow?  I ask this because I am trying to devise standards for the two foot operation that I am building, and it seems that every piece of equipment that I find has different wheel profiles and of course track seems to be all over the map (no pun intended). Since the Maine two footers are some of the heaviest two foot operations, I would be well served to follow the standards that is used up there. 

The info. that I am mostly interested in is wheel profile, tread and flange widths, back to back distance of wheelsets, track gauge tolerance and distance from running rail to guard rails in switches.   Also curious to know what the coupler height is from the top of rail to c/l of coupler pockets.

HK Porter had two standard wheel profiles. The "light locomotive" profile is 5" wide and the "heavy locomotive" profile is 5 1/2" wide.  Our J&L 58 uses the 5 1/2" wide profile.  However, one of the Carpenter Steel cars that I bought recently has a very narrow wheel profile, which is a bit concerning since it will be operating over the same trackage as the wide wheeled 58.  I would like to standardize as much as possible.

Thanks for the help.

20151216_211539 by Rick Rowlands, on Flickr
Rick Rowlands
Chief Engineer
Jones & Laughlin Narrow Gauge Railway
Youngstown, OH

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Track and Wheel Standards
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 05:54:37 PM »
Rick we have a set of standards. Send Jason or I message and we will get you the standards.
United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME