Author Topic: Locomotive 9 Returns to Service  (Read 14082 times)

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Locomotive 9 Returns to Service
« on: December 11, 2015, 12:08:50 AM »
Folks,
         I said it over on Facebook; but wanted to congratulate all of you folks who made the steam up happen!

When I watched the video of the #9 arriving from West Thompson, Connecticut; I did not think this day would ever come. Very, very few museums have built new boilers for their steam artifacts! Or worked at this level of re-building!

Ted Miles, WW&F Life member
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 09:39:04 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F #9 ib steam
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 08:33:45 PM »
It truly was an amazing site. After years of dreams, talk, and rebuilding it is amazing. #9's impressive restoration goes to show no detail has gone unnoticed and shows the incredible dedication and skills of many.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F #9 ib steam
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 09:34:10 PM »
Since joining the WW&F Railway Museum, I've become a lot more optimistic about everything. To quote Wernher von Braun, "I have learned to use the word 'impossible' with the greatest caution."

Another couple of applicable quotes: “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” – Nelson Mandela
“Never tell a young person that anything cannot be done. God may have been waiting centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing.” – G. M. Trevelyan

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Locomotive 9 Return to Service
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 08:06:39 AM »
At Friday, December 11's Board of Directors meeting, we discussed and approved the following schedule for number 9's return to service.  This is, of course subject to modification for various reasons.

Number 9's public debut will be at this year's (2015) free Victorian Christmas event.  We felt it appropriate to debut what has been a major rallying point for our members and volunteers, No 9, at our largest event of the year- which has also served as a source of great enthusiasm for our organization and the community we serve.  

Everyone is welcome to come see No 9 on the 19th; please remember, however, that this is a busy event with most visitors' interest is a ride to see Santa.  We can't guarantee a ride behind no 9 (which will be sharing duties with 10 and 52).  

2.  No 9 will operate at the 2016 Spring Work Weekend as a non-revenue thank you for our members, volunteers and donors.  Details to be determined, as we have to avoid interfering with work efforts, but we want to honor everyone who has made the restoration of no 9 and the railroad to date possible.  No 9 operation will focus on Saturday, April 30, 2016 (NOTE corrected date- thanks Dwight!)

3.  A ceremony is planned to celebrate No 9's 125th birthday on our 2016 Annual Meeting: Saturday, May 7.  

The day will begin with No 9's first revenue operation since 1933.  That trip will consist of all the museum's original WW&F equipment and be sold as a fundraising trip.  The only seats are on coach 3 and as such will be limited to 30 or so.  The fare will include the trip and a print of no 9's official rebuilder's photo, and a commemorative ticket.  Seat prices, on-sale date and other details still to be determined.

Following the first trip, we will have a ceremony with special guest speakers.  No 9 will then commence hauling the regular train at regular fare- though we may spice up the day's consist some.

Look for other events such as photo charters in 2016 and beyond.

I'd like to reproduce the scene in Dick Symmes painting at Top of Mountain sometime this spring, however that is subject to some other factors (such as no 10 work) so we can't plan it yet.

Ok, let's have some fun!
Jason
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 05:51:12 PM by Jason M Lamontagne »

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Re: Locomotive 9 Return to Service
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 12:23:07 PM »
Jason
    Nice Christmas present for the Museum. May she serve long and well. Have fun with her!!!!!!!!!!!!
                         Paul

Tom Werb

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F #9 in steam
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 10:07:50 PM »
Congratulations to the Management and Mechanical Staff at the WW&F Ry Museum for bringing #9 back to life!!
You have an historical treasure that will give many years to enjoyment to 2-foot Fans everywhere!
Extremely-Narrow-Mindedly,
Tom Werb

Tom Werb

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 10:23:06 PM »
Jason:
Congratulations on bringing #9 back to life!
It GREAT to see #9 back in steam.
It's a wonderful Christmas present to all of us Maine 2-Foot Fans.
I just wish I could've been there to see it . . .
Extremely-Narrow-Mindedly,
Tom Werb

Terry W. Shirley

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 04:54:46 PM »
I'll second Tom's comments!!

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: Locomotive 9 Returns to Service
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 09:00:15 PM »
Hi Folks,

We have decided to revise the planned sequence of events to return Locomotive 9 to service, on account of no 10 being pulled from service for boiler repairs.  The plan for 9 revolved around the idea of holding the first revenue operation until the rededication ceremony in May.  With our popular Easter event in March, it seemed a little silly to have a serviceable steam locomotive sit in the barn while the diesel handled the public, revenue operation.   Sooooo....

1.  No 9 will be prepared and used for Easter Eggspress, March 26, 2016.

2.  No 9 will be used for a photo charter event the day before, March 25. 

3.  The plan to use 9 at the work weekend, as a thank you to our volunteers and members, remains unchanged.

4.  A rededication ceremony, and 125th birthday celebration for No 9, will occur on the day of our Annual Meeting Saturday, May 7, 2016.

Regards,
Jason

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 10:10:42 PM »
This news is simultaneously sad and joyful.

Terry W. Shirley

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 11:23:06 PM »
I agree John, but wasn't it great foresight to get No. 9 operational just in time for No. 10 to develop boiler trouble?  lol!!

john d Stone

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 03:32:00 PM »
I think it is a wonderful idea to offer steam to the extent possible. I know I've said this before (or something similar, or I should have said it), but nothing better recreates the flavor of Maine two footer operation than a gallop through the woods behind a living Forney. #10 does a beautiful job of it and certainly #9 must excel! I am curious, after a few trips to loosen her up during the Victorian Christmas event, how does she handle?

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 05:08:30 PM »
I am curious, after a few trips to loosen her up during the Victorian Christmas event, how does she handle?
She corners like she is on rails! ;D

john d Stone

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 05:38:45 PM »
Thank you, John M. This confirms my suspicions!

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 06:18:20 PM »
John M.  has kept close track of #9 since its revival.