Author Topic: 2' gauge 2-8-0  (Read 9676 times)

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
2' gauge 2-8-0
« on: December 01, 2015, 12:46:05 PM »
Hi,

While researching 2' gauge locomotives, I came across these photos on the web.  They depict several of the eight 2-8-0s owned and operated by the Empresa Matte Larangeira in Brazil. A good builders photo of locomotive #4 "America" can be found in the back of the first edition of Linwood Moody's wonderful book, "The Maine Two-Footers".

Best Regards,
Glenn

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: 2' gauge 2-8-0
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 03:58:11 PM »
Here is a 2 ft 4-6-0 I found in a Museum in Buenos Aries.  It was from a potato plantation in the pampas of Argentina.  Also a 2 ft gasoline loco used for the tourist train to Iguassu Falls.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 04:08:13 PM »
Forgot the 2 ft tourist Loco.  Also a pix of dual gauge track in the Sao Paulo Brazil harbor.  They have 5 gauges in Brazil and about 500 miles of dual gauge.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 06:18:05 PM »
Here is a 2 ft 4-6-0 I found in a Museum in Buenos Aries.  It was from a potato plantation in the pampas of Argentina.  Also a 2 ft gasoline loco used for the tourist train to Iguassu Falls.

Hi Bill,

The Buenos Aires loco is ex-WDLR (War Department Light Railways (WW1), Hunslet 4-6-0, #658.  It's mate #655, is in Santa Ana , Corrientes Province, Argentina.

Best Regards,
Glenn

David Johnson

• Museum Member
  • Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 10:32:12 PM »
There were 3 Baldwin 2-8-0s of class 10-14E numbers 1-3, drawing #1, which were built for the Empressa Matte Larangeira.  Although all three were built between 1920 and 1929 to the same class and drawing, there were differences in the parts used to construct them, especially the "America" #6 from the #7 and #8.  Each of the locomotives had its own erection drawing and separate drawing card list for parts.  Attached are the drawing card lists for the three locomotives.  I will check to see if I have any of the tender or the brass card lists as these parts were listed in separate Baldwin volumes.  All three locomotives had 28" drivers with 10x14 cylinders, 175psi boilers, and a tractive effort of 7,440 lbs.
Dave Johnson

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 02:19:11 PM »
Hi David,

Thanks for digging out the Baldwin builders data on the Cia Matte Larangeira 2-8-0s!

I am attaching 2 more photos of these engines that I recently found on-line. I hope everyone finds them of interest.

Researching this line is pretty confusing as there were 3 railroads in the immediate area.  None of these RRs connected with each other. One of the 2 common-carrier lines was 75cm gauge.  The two-foot line was the private company railroad serving the Larangeira Matte plantation.  Matte leaves are used in a highly caffeinated type of tea that is a very popular in Central and South America.  The line was roughly 60km long, rostered 8 Baldwin 2-8-0 locomotives and dozens of Matte cars that looked like high-sided, D&RGW gondolas covered over with canvas tops.

Operating details vary by source, but it probably covered the period from the early 19-teens and late/early 19-fifties and sixties. The RR was supposedly sold for scrap in 1963, but one recent source stated that all 8 engines and a number if gons were recently seen somewhere in the area.  So who knows.

The area. alongside the former "Seven Falls" between the upper and lower Parana River has historically remote but is now growing at a fairly rapid pace.  More information is likely to become available with time.

Thanks again!

Best Regards,
Glenn
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 02:37:52 PM by Glenn Christensen »

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 02:35:31 PM »
Here's the other photo in compressed format.

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 03:28:26 PM »
Very interesting information! I can't help but wonder what connection there may be (if any) between these railroads and the mysterious South American buyer Frank Winter is rumored to have had for the WW&F in the 1930s. (Writing in the R&LHS Bulletin in 1937, H. T. Crittenden seems to have thought Winter delayed scrapping because he was waiting for the deal to go through.)

I have several friends from South America (Brazil and Argentina specifically) and they are very enthusiastic about the drink mate. It's a kind of tea made from the leaves of a native holly tree (Ilex paraguariensis), and very high in caffeine. I believe it's considered the Argentine national beverage.

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 04:44:42 PM »
Hi Phillip,

wonder what connection there may be (if any) between these railroads and the mysterious South American buyer Frank Winter is rumored to have had for the WW&F in the 1930s.

There were sure enough two-footers in the area.  Perhaps more imformation will surface over time.

Best Regards,
Glenn