Author Topic: Box Car 67 - Official Work Thread  (Read 158599 times)

Terry W. Shirley

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
Re: Box Car 67 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #150 on: January 15, 2016, 04:19:31 PM »
Even if that is so, I would consider it a winning coup that the WW&F is lucky enough to have gotten hold of some real SR&RL wheelsets!!

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 15, 2016, 04:24:53 PM »
In my opinion, the ultimate coup would be if we then we able to trade for authentic B&SR wheelsets/trucks from the SR&RL group up in Phillips!

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2016, 08:07:45 PM »
Since we obviously have two different types of trucks for #67 wouldn't it be prudent to find out what exactly went under the car when built? With that info in hand it would be a matter of trading and/or buying a set of trucks that would be historically correct.  We are building a reputation of doing things the right way - this should be no exception.

Now with that said; I'm not advocating to not rebuild the trucks we currently have but to do so, "for the short term", but to also look for the correct truck(s) that we can then swap out.  This car can be a special showpiece for us - lets do it right.  If it costs a few bucks more, so be it and I'll be the first to kick in for it.
Moxie Bootlegger

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2016, 11:13:29 PM »
I am with John on this one.  I will be the second to kick in to do it right.
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Terry W. Shirley

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2016, 11:50:58 PM »
I'll have to agree with you guys on this.  And it might be worthwhile to check with the SR&RL guys on wheelsets; I had not thought of that possibility.

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2016, 12:20:17 AM »
I also like Steve's idea of looking into a swap with the SR&RL group. As much as I enjoy having little bits and pieces of all the other Two-Footers around at the WW&F, genuine marked SR&RL wheelsets are "unobtainium", and it makes more sense for them to go home to Phillips than to remain at Sheepscot. If we can possibly get a correct B&SR truck or wheelsets in exchange for them it would be much better for boxcar 67.

Greg Klein

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2016, 10:04:57 PM »
Thought I'd share some photos of the draft gear that I got apart last weekend.  It came apart relatively easy, though some bolts were almost completely dissolved.  This is just one set of four.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2016, 08:33:35 PM »
Wow. Needs work.  ;D
Paul Uhland

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2016, 10:41:36 PM »
Timbers for the new side sills arrived last weekend. The third smaller timber standing on it's side will be ripped down for the roof purlins. The oak logs we harvested are going to the sawmill this week to be turned into end beams, queenpost beams, and carbody framing. Car siding has also been ordered.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:49:37 PM by Brendan Barry »
United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2016, 11:49:36 PM »
That's nice looking wood! Is it Douglas fir?

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 04, 2016, 12:44:39 AM »
Douglas fir.
United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Greg Klein

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 15, 2016, 11:48:57 AM »
More progress on removing bolts and organizing parts.

Paul Uhland

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 15, 2016, 02:34:14 PM »
Lots of valuable grabs, steps and brackets free after  Kroil and  torch artistry; lots of TOM burn kindling.
A vertical grab also makes a dandy big door handle.
Paul Uhland

John Dulaney

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 29, 2016, 05:12:02 PM »
More 67 deconstruction pictures. Most of the car framing was shot. Every vertical member was rotted at the bottom and everything in the door areas or spots where the exterior sheathing was missing was rotted. One 10 foot section of framing pretty much fell apart when the vertical tension rods were cut. All the vertical tension rods were corroded to the point you could twist the rods off by hand at the sills. Lots of detail pictures have been taken and sketches made of grab iron locations and framing details. The next step is to strip the floor off and flip the frame upside down to strip it down for rebuild. The center sills look like they are reusable. The outside sills and end beams are shot. The trucks need a complete rebuild all the wood parts are no good. Flat car 126 needs a truck rebuild also and the intention is to rebuild both sets of trucks this winter.

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to get scans of those sketches put online?

Alan Downey

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
    • Preservation Pattern
« Reply #164 on: February 29, 2016, 06:06:05 PM »
Hey Greg,

I just wanted to mention that I fully sympathize with that pile of parts you've got in front of you! Its remarkable how much effort goes into getting all the metal hardware cleaned up and ready to be installed again. To the casual observer, it might seem like they just need to be bolted back on, when in fact much more goes into it. I'm really glad so much of the hardware was still present and able to be restored.
Head of Jason Bothering Department
Owner of Preservation Pattern