Author Topic: Trout Brook Bridge - Official Work Thread  (Read 294682 times)

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Trout Brook Bridge - Official Work Thread
« on: September 13, 2015, 10:19:39 AM »
With completion of track to TOM and looking at the future expansion, what is happening with the planning and design for the Trout Brook bridge.  I know there was mention a Looonnngggg while ago from someone who offered to help with the design who was a bridge design engineer but that discussion has fallen silent.  As a person with an extensive construction background, the lead time to accomplish such a task is long indeed.  Between environmental impact statements, design review, local and state approvals, this process can take several years.  IMHO it is time to get this process going in earnest as we may very well find ourselves building down the mountain only to find out that the bridge becomes a major obstacle.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 08:12:24 AM by Ed Lecuyer »
Moxie Bootlegger

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: Trout Brook Bridge - Official Work Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 11:15:40 AM »
This process has been proceeding in the background.  Many small, unremarkable details ensue to these types of projects but don't really deserve reporting.  Our bridge engineer is still on board; the town has been consulted for any ordinance issues, and we have engaged the DEP.  in short- lack of report doesn't mean lack of progress!

Thanks for your interest- we don't mind answering these inquiries at all!  We'll certainly report when something noteworthy comes along.

Jason

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 07:47:36 AM »
Jason,  thanks for the response.  I know there is so much going on that sometimes things get pushed to the side but I am glad that the big goal has not been forgotten.  Do we have a conceptual site plan and design as of yet?  I know when you start speaking with DEP type folks they want to see something on paper or they just brush you off.  It would be really nice to see either a newsletter article or something posted on the site so we can envision what is happening.
Moxie Bootlegger

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 07:59:10 AM »
John, there has been some preliminary work, but the thing is now trying to see what DEP wil allow there, before any bridge design is made or finalized. We are still some 3000 feet, a wash out and a large slide away from needing the bridge. So by the time we get there, we should just be laying track up to and over the bridge. Several, like 5 or so, years away.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 02:01:56 PM »
Bridge design will be similar to the original Trout Brook Trestle with talks of potential being reinforced with steel, but hidden in such a manner that it still looks like the original.

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 04:05:29 PM »
Folks,
         I ran across a reference to the Maine Department of Environmental Protection. which said that it has to do with preserving salmon and trout streams.

A waterway with the name Trout Creek; would I am sure be of interest to such an organization!

I hope that a contact has been made. I know in California where I live; the sooner the better is the rule of thumb to go by in dealing with this sort of agency.

I am a historian, not an engineer; but I should think some steel in the new bridge; given the history of the bridge failing in service in 1905.

Ted Miles, WW&F Member

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 04:28:55 PM »
The appropriate environmental agencies (Maine DEP and Army Corps of Engineers) have both signed off on our preliminary plans to bridge Trout Brook (which I doubt contains any trout at the location of our crossing.) The new bridge design is still being worked out - but look for an official announcement very soon.

Let's just say, we have this covered.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 05:12:30 PM »
Would this have anything to do with a project in NH?
Moxie Bootlegger

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 05:21:16 PM »
The July directors meeting minutes posted yesterday mentions the bridge.

Let's just say, we have this covered.

You worry me, Ed.
What–me worry?

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 06:22:45 PM »
Trout brook has no fish in it, at least for most of the year where the railroad crosses, as the brook becomes less than a stream most years.

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 06:27:23 PM »
...most likely named after some guy named "Trout"

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 06:49:46 PM »
Better than many of the rivers, creeks, and streams here in PA which have native American names which no one can pronounce!  Now that's paybacks.   :D
Moxie Bootlegger

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 09:21:39 PM »
Ok. In an effort to keep things understood, the brook in question is Trout Brook. It is a Tributary to Sheepscot River. Sheepscot River is a protected waterway, for Salmon, I think Atlantic Salmon. This is why we approached the Maine DEP, and the Army Corps of Engineers before beginning work down the mountain.

Ed is somewhat correct in his statement. We have not appllied for any permits yet, so permission has not been granted. Both said they preferred a bridge crossing because Less disturbance to the subtrate.

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Alex Harvilchuck

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 03:13:15 PM »
Thoughts on design considerations for spanning Trout Creek (take 'em or leave em'):

Bailey Bridges can be easier to transport, handle, and install. (baileybridge.com being one source)

Prefab Abutments are an option  (www.stonestrong.com/blocks are available not far from Wiscasset)

Anyone talk to Maine National Guard, they do have a construction company. Just like with Humason Trestle this might be an option especially if methods that they normally use are leveraged. e.g Bailey Bridges are SOP for the Army.

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 09:32:58 PM »
Joe,
       I read someplace that the original and 1905 replacement bridges were Queen Truss designs.
I hope that modern standards will allow something that looks historic on the site of the earlier bridges. and if steel is required it can be covered or disguised to look old.

So far the railway seems like it is 1910; I hope the agencies let the museum keep to that. In fact, not doing so would go against the Secretaries Standards for Historic Preservation.

as you can tell from my earlier posts this subject is important to me!

Ted Miles, WW&F Member
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:34:50 PM by Ted Miles »