Author Topic: Gas Issues  (Read 4117 times)

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Gas Issues
« on: August 19, 2015, 08:19:19 PM »
Ed and all

Just a suggestion and it may be too far to go. And there may be a closer place to get some,
but if you can get non ethanol fuel for your trimmers they will give less trouble. For all small engines and antiques for
that matter . Especially engines that run infrequently. It is a proven fact that Ethanol Fuel lasts for less that a month.
Keep on hand only enough to last a month then burn any leftover in a road vehicle ( new computer controlled engines can better cope).

This is one list , though not complete, of places to buy real gas.

http://www.buyrealgas.com/Maine.html

Of course you guys knew this and I am ranting to the choir.

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Gas Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 10:43:37 PM »
I use Coleman Stove/Lantern fuel in my antique engines.  Its white gas and it can sit for years without gumming up.

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Gas Issues
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 02:50:10 AM »
Just bought non ethanol this afternoon - it was 90 cents more than regular  but well worth it.

Todays engines are OK but many old ones need lead in gas. Though back 50ya a friend burned white gas in his trucks when you could
get it at the pump. Could get kerosene at pump too.

Greg Klein

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
Gas Issues
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 01:20:34 PM »
I always put stabilizer in my mower/snow blower fuel.  No problem so far even if it sits for a season.

http://www.goldeagle.com/product/marine-sta-bil-ethanol-fuel-treatment-stabilizer

Craig "Red" Heun

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Gas Issues
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 10:53:11 PM »
Just a note on gas. You all may know this anyway, but av gas has lead in it. It maybe good for sitting for a while and in old engines. However, it is 100 octane and expensive. I know a few Fire Companies that use it in their generators and such that sit for a while between runnings.

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Gas Issues
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 08:25:25 PM »
Here's some info on an oil additive I use that is available here in western Mass (and probably elsewhere). It is called Opti and if you mix it according to the instructions on the container (basically a one or multiple gallon tube) it works for whatever pre-mix ratio your equipment calls for - 50:1, 32:1, etc. It works well for all ratios on the one, single pre-mix. The local small equipment shop I use sells the stuff and I've used it for years with no problems or breakdowns. Might make gas storage simpler at the museum. By the way, I can mix a batch in the winter and it's still good in the summer and vice-versa.

Josh Botting

• Switchman
    • View Profile
Re: Gas Issues
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 01:40:50 AM »
I have been running 100 LL in my small engines, from the air port in wiscasset.  Most air ports have ethanol free gas.