Author Topic: Shingle Mill - Official Work Thread  (Read 104087 times)

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Shingle Mill - Official Work Thread
« Reply #180 on: July 28, 2017, 08:05:37 AM »
Wed. July 25th. On my way to the museum from my home I passed the site of the original shingle mill.

The shingle mill building plus a small garage building used for storage have been torn down. I would say by hand, as all the tree's growing around both buildings were not disturbed. The old farm house is still standing.

Troy Congdon

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 29, 2018, 08:47:04 PM »
On another forum I frequent, someone shared this video. It is a silent film taken by a Maine lumber-mill boss when he realized that the work he was doing was obsolete and would not be known by the following generations. It is narrated in a proper Maine accent that reminds those of us who are away what home sounds like.

No two footers but there is a train in the background at one point and some shingle mill action too.

https://youtu.be/cIKCjQdxtO0

ALAIN DELASSUS

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 30, 2018, 11:15:49 AM »
Hi! Interesting movie from an historic past and not too hard to understand in so far as the guy is not speaking too fast. Thanks for posting it.

Gary Kraske

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 30, 2018, 12:09:50 PM »
Thank you , Troy. Barb & I looked at it last night and she got a real feel for what it was like in winter logging.  Growing up I heard stories about river driving but never saw any by the late 40's early 50's.